1 2 3 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2010 1:41 PM by Peter M

At least 3 reasons NOT TO BUY McAfee products

Reason #1. There is very difficult, and sometimes even impossible (without reinstalling Windows) to remove the current version from a computer. The usual methods, as well as the MCPR.exe utility do not work. The utility was started once, then it hung, I had to restart my computer, and then MCPR.exe refuses to work, it says: "CLEANUP FAILED... Cleanup is already running." So, now I have no opportinity to install any antiviral soft, because the old version of McAfee Internet Security Suite is not uninstalled and deleted completely. All the attempts to clean the registry manually also failed, because the entries of McAfee are defended and cannot be deleted.

Reason #2. Support really is not provided in a perfect way. I addressed to the support service here. After I had downloaded GoToAssistStarter.exe, I tried to launch it for 5 times, it does not
      work, error c0000018. I have sent 2 letters to support@mcafee.com, with the same result - no reply. So, up to this moment, I can not get any help with the problem.

Reason #3.There is no support interface in many languages. For example, in Russian, which is my native language. Russia is not the smallest country in Europe. If the market of Internet users in this country is not interesting to McAfee, Inc., we will find and buy other soft.

on 10/3/10 1:55:03 PM CDT

on 10/3/10 1:55:48 PM CDT
        • 1. Re: At least 3 reasons NOT TO BUY McAfee products
          Peter M

Mihail wrote:

Reason #1. There is very difficult, and sometimes even impossible (without reinstalling Windows) to remove the current version from a computer. The usual methods, as well as the MCPR.exe utility do not work. The utility was started once, then it hung, I had to restart my computer, and then MCPR.exe refuses to work, it says: "CLEANUP FAILED... Cleanup is already running." So, now I have no opportinity to install any antiviral soft, because the old version of McAfee Internet Security Suite is not uninstalled and deleted completely. All the attempts to clean the registry manually also failed, because the entries of McAfee are defended and cannot be deleted.

Reason #2. Support really is not provided in a perfect way. I addressed to the support service here. After I had downloaded GoToAssistStarter.exe, I tried to launch it for 5 times, it does not
          work, error c0000018. I have sent 2 letters to support@mcafee.com, with the same result - no reply. So, up to this moment, I can not get any help with the problem.

Reason #3.There is no support interface in many languages. For example, in Russian, which is my native language. Russia is not the smallest country in Europe. If the market of Internet users in this country is not interesting to McAfee, Inc., we will find and buy other soft.

on 10/3/10 1:55:03 PM CDT

on 10/3/10 1:55:48 PM CDT

I've moved this to Support Feedback so someone from that department can answer you, but until they do I would just add that in answer to your points...

1. Removal via Control Panel and using the MCPR removal tool should not prove difficult, if it does then there has to be a problem with your system, the software has been corrupted by either an infection, unwise use of registry cleaners or some similar action, or you are trying to remove a non-consumer product perhaps? If it's an 'old version of Internet Security" perhaps you could explain how old exactly?  More information on what you were trying to remove exactly and your operating system and service pack might help.

2.. The Gotoassist should work OK provided your browser settings are at default and you have the latest version of Internet Explorer installed and fully updated, even if it is not your default browser.

3. I don't work for McAfee so can't answer for their marketing strategy but I would imagine they provide support in the topmost used languages by sales and the rest are dealt with by centralised offices accessible by clicking 'My country is not listed'.

That said, someone qualified should answer this soon, most likely by Monday, US time.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 03/10/10 3:45:56 EDT PM
          • 2. Re: At least 3 reasons NOT TO BUY McAfee products
            Peter M

By the way I'm not sure where you got that support email address from but I believe it is not the correct one.  All support is via the McAfee Support links or Useful Links at the top of the page and there is no other way.

There is online Chat or email support (very slow) but that uses an online form and does not give you an email address to use.

http://service.mcafee.com/ServiceSelect.aspx?lc=2057&sg=TS&pt=1&st=CHAT

• 3. Re: At least 3 reasons NOT TO BUY McAfee products

No, Ex_Brit, the McAfee revove utility does not work correct. The only mistake was, that its work was interrupted. Only once! And after this it refuses to work, refuses to finish up the removal. The error message was given here.

where you got that support email address from

No secret. After my unsuccessful attempts to join the chat I have got a letter from that address.

All support is via the McAfee Support links or Useful Links at the top of the page and there is no other way

Well, I see there is no other way, including this one

As for the chat, it also does not work, I have already written about this...

I am ready to delete the program munually. But the McAfee registry entry is somehow defended by... I do not know what force. Is there any opportunity to eliminate this defence? If so, I could solve the problem myself

on 10/4/10 2:08:21 PM CDT
              • 4. Re: At least 3 reasons NOT TO BUY McAfee products
                Peter M

Mihail,

I will see if I can get a technician to deal with you directly here.

• 5. Re: At least 3 reasons NOT TO BUY McAfee products
                  Dinz

Hi Mihail,

Sorry for your frustration, please provide us some more information so that we could help you;
                  What is the operating system of the computer ?
                  Was the computer infected by any malware in the past ?
                  How old is the computer ?
                  Are we trying to reinstall McAfee and encountering any errors ? (If so please let us know the error that we receive )

Please get back to us with  the above information and we shall help you with our best here.

Regards,
                  Dinesh K
                  McAfee Online Community Moderator

• 6. Re: At least 3 reasons NOT TO BUY McAfee products

HDinzi, Dinz, thank you for your reply.

please provide us some more information so that we could help you

With pleasure. Hope you'll help me.

What is the operating system of the computer ?

Windows 7 (x64) Home Extended. It was bought together with the computer.

Was the computer infected by any malware in the past ?

Never.

How old is the computer ?

New. A bit more, than 2 months. It is an Acer notebook, Aspire 5738DG.

Are we trying to reinstall McAfee and encountering any errors ?

No, I was going to uninstall it after the trial period was over. I forgot to do it a bit earlier, and when I tried to remove it by means of the Control Panel, it hung. Then I downloaded and launched the utility for removal, MCPR.exe. But it worked too slowly, it was late evening, and I decided to stop the process and to resume it the next day. But all the following attempts were unsuccessful. As I have mentioned above, any time I received the error message: "CLEANUP FAILED............ Cleanup is already running." (see the attached file "error.jpg"). Then I succeed in my next attempt do remove the program with the help of the Control Panel. But I can not delete all the entries of McAfee from the registry: they are defended. And that is why I cannot install any other antiviral software (NOD32 trial version, Avast). As far as I know, even if I want to install McAffee again, I have to remove the previous installation... Anyhow, I want to try other variant before...

So, I shall be very glad, if you either tell me, how to clean the registry manually, or make the utility MCPR.exe to work properly (maybe, to clean away the traces of its previous activity at my system).

Thank you beforehand for your help.

• 7. Re: At least 3 reasons NOT TO BUY McAfee products
                      Peter M

Have you tried looking in Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Delete or right-click the taskbar and select Task Manager) for running MCPR tasks - under the Processes tab "Show settings for All Users" and ending them and then trying to re-launch MCPR?

• 8. Re: At least 3 reasons NOT TO BUY McAfee products

One of the first things I did was looking through the task magager: no, there is tot any trace of something like this. Now I tried again: mcshield.exe and mfevtps.exe (2 processes, system) cannot be stopped, access denied (decause they are launched by the system)!

• 9. Re: At least 3 reasons NOT TO BUY McAfee products
                          Peter M

Oh well, I tried.  Dinz...???

1 2 3 Previous Next