1 2 Previous Next 12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2010 4:38 AM by pedro.tavares

Safeboot 4.2 - recover throught Wintech or Safetech

pedro.tavares

Hi,

I need to repair a Windows XP or at least recover the data on a machine protected with Safeboot 4.2.

The Safeboot is intact, as I can enter my login and password, but while booting there is a SO failure (maybe because a virus).

My question is, the recover procedure with Wintech or Safetech is the one documented in SafeTech_and_WinTech_Administration_Guide.pdf ? In 4.2 version is possible to export the .SDB file and use it authenticate?

The guys that manage Safeboot saysthat it's only possible in 5.x version. Is that true?

Regards,

Pedro

• 1. Re: Safeboot 4.2 - recover throught Wintech or Safetech

you can decrypt the drive with SafeTech for v4.2, but you can't mount the drive with WinTech - it does not exist for v4.2

so, yes, the data is recoverable, you just need to decrypt the drive and then fix it with the normal windows tools.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Safeboot 4.2 - recover throught Wintech or Safetech

You are mistaken Simon.

There is version of WinTech that works fine with SafeBoot 4.2.

Please contact McAfee to get that version. It is SBWinTech.exe version 1.0.0.1 from 2006.

It is used to mount encrypted disk in WinPE (BartPE) environment.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Safeboot 4.2 - recover throught Wintech or Safetech
              pedro.tavares

Thank you both.

I've the version to use with bartPE and I'll check if the version is the the one you've mentioned.

Thank you very much,

• 4. Re: Safeboot 4.2 - recover throught Wintech or Safetech
                pedro.tavares

Hi Peter_eepc,

I'm still trying to solve this issue. I've the code of the day, the sdb file but I'm getting the error  0xdb000005 : Authentication Failed.

The SBWinTech.exe version I have is 5.1.2.0. Can you get me the 1.0.0.1 version?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Pedro

• 5. Re: Safeboot 4.2 - recover throught Wintech or Safetech

Contact McAfee Support to obtain any binaries. We cannot distribute them legally on this public forum.

• 7. Re: Safeboot 4.2 - recover throught Wintech or Safetech
                    ArnsteinLangnes

I am also trying to get a "tech" tool working on a 4.2 encrypted machine up and running. My problem is that the Safetech using boot floppy is not able to even boot up the Free Dos correctly.

Either it freezes after "Starting Free DOS", or it is forcing reboot at the end of the boot.

This is a machine with a SATA disk, and it seems like this behavior is the same on most of the machines I have tried having SATA disk controllers. Old IDE machines seems to work OK.

SO I have tried to build a Bart PE boot CD adding the Plugins from the Safeboot 4.2 tools.

This generates a failure when building the Image. "Can not find winpeoem.sif"

I have seen other commenting this away by adding a ";" in front of this line in their example.

Resulting in a succesful building of the image,
                    BUT: No Safetech Program. THis is not so strange since the Safetech.exe is not a part of the Plugin folder at all...

Tried to add the Safetech.exe manually to the Image, causing an error saying that this is not a valid 32 bit application...

I found from your thread that SH and Peter_EEPC mentioned a wintech for 4.2.

I have tried to open a ticket to obtaing this, but I suppose this will take time to dive down the layers of support.

DID you get this util?

Any success using it?

If so, is it possible for me to get a copy of it from you?

Also if other have any experience in Safetech/wintech for Safeboot 4.2 on SATA machines....

Regards

Arnstein

Bedriftssystemer AS  in Norway -  Reseller McAfee Data Protection

• 8. Re: Safeboot 4.2 - recover throught Wintech or Safetech

The one I have seems to be working fine with SATA and SafeBoot 4.2.

But sometimes BIOS needs to have SATA in "compatible" mode.

And don't try to WinTech mount disk that is not encrypted. It has nasty habit of corrupting MSFT.

Best if you can first take raw disk image of affected machine and work with it in VM.

That way you have a backup and can repeat recovery many times, if something goes wrong.

• 9. Re: Safeboot 4.2 - recover throught Wintech or Safetech
                        ArnsteinLangnes

Thanks for the info Peter.

I got around the problem of the "Free Dos" floppy created from the Safeboot Manager by using a win98 floppy and boot up in a DOS environment.

Now i was able to run the Safetech.exe, load the exported SDB file, and remove safeboot on the disk.

I am still waiting for further feedback on the wintech version you mention for 4.2 wich makes this more easy. This is now at Tier1...

If anybody have this version available please let me know. Even if the urgent issue now is solved.

Regards

Arnstein

1 2 Previous Next