2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2010 8:37 AM by SafeBoot

SAFEBOOT ENCRYPTED DATA DISK

lucacombi

Hi all, I have a hp 8540w with hp protect tools.

1. I have 2 disks, one with operating system and one with data.
      2. I have encrypted the disks, and saved into an usb key the encryption key.
      3. The operating system diks failed, so I replaced the disk and reintalled os.

I would like to know how to decrypt the data disk, because hp couldn't help me (this is crazy), in disk decryption.

Does anyone know how to decrypt a safeboot encrypted data ?

Thank you very much

Luca Combi

• 1. Re: SAFEBOOT ENCRYPTED DATA DISK

It's tricky - you are not using "SafeBoot" - you are using Drive Encryption for HP ProtectTools. It's a HP product.

The correct process is that you need to book a ticket with HP - they will redirect the ticket to McAfee support if you are eligible, along with all the details etc. As you don't have any relationship with McAfee, and as you're not a McAfee customer, and you're not using a McAfee product, they simply can't take a call direct from you :-(

What you'll need though of course is a copy of the correct version of SafeTech on some bootable media, and as you say, your usb stick with your recovery code on it - as long as you can get both of them there's a good chance you can decrypt your data.

• 2. Re: SAFEBOOT ENCRYPTED DATA DISK
            lucacombi

Thanks a lot for your help, do you know from where can I dowload SafeTech ?