1 2 Previous Next 10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2010 3:53 AM by vinoo

Virus Scan crashing on Dc63.exe

I can't seem to get a scan past Dc63.exe.  I googled it and prevx says it is a polymorphic process.  Tech support thought it might be a virus but the virus removal department can't find it.  Anybody know where this is and how to get rid of it?  I can't only scan 66% until I get a crash and there isn't much detail as to the path name for the file. C\...\Dc63.exe is all I get.

• 1. Re: Virus Scan crashing on Dc63.exe
          Dinz

Hello dt2bru ,

Could you please provide some information about the computer ;
          Do we have any other security software installed in the machine ?
          Do we recveive any spyware pop ups regardless of the Dc63.exe
          Restart the computer and keep tapping the F8 key, from advanced options menu select safe mode;
          Once you get to the desktop , try scanning again and let me know whether it bypasses the location in safe mode

Regards,
          Dinesh K
          McAfee Online Community Moderator

• 2. Re: Virus Scan crashing on Dc63.exe

My machine has XP on it and with a restart in "safe mode" it still stops at Dc63.exe. There seems to be no other troubles other than a one time trojan horse pop-up alert which McAfee seemed to fix.  Until today I did not have any other security software on the machine.     I have just loaded on the Prevx in hopes that if they provided a definition they could provide a solution.  It actually didn't find the Dc63.exe but it was claiming the adminfix put on by the McAfee virus removal people was maleware.

• 3. Re: Virus Scan crashing on Dc63.exe
              vinoo
              If you suspect you're infected and have trouble finding what is causing the infection, I'd suggest giving this handy tool a try.

"McAfee GetSusp is intended for users who suspect undetected malware on their system. By using a combination of clever heuristics and querying McAfee's online database of known clean files to gather suspicious files, GetSusp eliminates the user's need for deep technical knowledge of computer systems to isolate undetected malware. McAfee GetSusp is recommended as a tool of first choice when analyzing a suspect machine."

Get it from here: https://community.mcafee.com/message/148081#148081

Once GetSusp identifies and collects the suspect files, post the logs here and we community members can help. If Dc63.exe is indeed malware - it will come up in the GetSusp reports.

Regards,
              Vinoo Thomas
              Technical Product Manager, McAfee Labs
              • 4. Re: Virus Scan crashing on Dc63.exe

Um, ok I am even stuck on trying to unzip the file.  It claims to be password protected.  Neither documentation nor FAQ seem to elude to this part of the process.  I tried several old standby pwds without success and asked around for the latest standard passwords.  So what's the point?

• 5. Re: Virus Scan crashing on Dc63.exe
                  vinoo

Password for the zip file is "clean" - without quotes.

• 6. Re: Virus Scan crashing on Dc63.exe

thanks, clean it is...As the FAQ document indicated the sample file was too big to send to McAfee.  The documentation suggested that only the MD5 file needs to be sent.  The pref was set to sample and MD5 both, so I assume you have what you need from that application.  If I need to do something more, let me know.

On a more simple approach, where is C:\RECYCLER\... ?  This is where the Dc63.exe is located.  If I catch the scan exactly as it reaches the Dc63.exe, I can do a quick skip, and the next files scanned are in the C:\RECYCLER\ file.  If this is the location somehow it seems like a good idea to find the location and delete.  Obviously I can't find this location or I would've deleted it before this point.   While on the phone with the viruse removal person, he didn't want to go to this location to delete the problem so I must be missing something.  Can you direct me to some documentation that could explain what is RECYCLER and how can I get to it or why I can't get to it?    In the past my scan also had trouble with a Roxio file, it took time but I eventually found it - deleted it- and continued on my way.  The scan continued and I didn't use that file in Roxio anyway as I haven't had any trouble since.  Could the solution here be that simple?

• 7. Re: Virus Scan crashing on Dc63.exe
                      vinoo

C:\RECYCLER\ is the location for files in the Recycle bin on C: drive. Emptying the recycle bin should delete the files.

Could you post the gsusp.zip file that was created but too big to upload here? I'll like to review it. Thanks!

• 8. Re: Virus Scan crashing on Dc63.exe

Thanks for the answer, it seems it isn't going to be as simple as a delete...I have emptied the recycle bin several times without success. So onto the more complex, here is the gsusp zip file

• 9. Re: Virus Scan crashing on Dc63.exe
                          vinoo

Nothing overly suspicious in the report. The known files have been added to the whitelist.

1 2 Previous Next