6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2010 11:02 PM by weak_pig

How to unify VirusScan 8.7 settings via ePO?

Hi all. After much trial and errors, I was able to deploy a VirusScan 8.7.0i (henceforth known as VS) on a managed system which originally only has a Agent but no VS software.

However, I was dismayed to find that ePO deployed VS with all the default settings and ignored all the custom policies which I created under Policy Catalog.

I also made sure I chose my custom policies via the Assigned Policies under the System Tree.

Any idea why its not picking up my custom policies?

In addition, is it possible to remote deploy VS but with a custom install which I wanna leave out Buffer Overflow Protection & On-Delivery Email Scanner? I find that Buffer Overflow will crash my systems sometimes and OnDelivery Email Scanner is not required as we have a virus scanner already deployed in the email server.

• 1. Re: How to unify VirusScan 8.7 settings via ePO?

Another Question...

I want all my workstation to AutoUpdate at 10am every day and do a Full Scan everyday at 12pm.

I have written these 2 rules under Client Tasks which i deploy to everyone. But so far, seems like none are adhering to my demands.

Under each workstation, everyone's Auto Update and Full Scan timing is either not set, set to the wrong timing, or is set to the default timing as per each VS installs (ie, 5pm)

Any idea how do i force each and every workstation to adhere to my rules?

• 2. Re: How to unify VirusScan 8.7 settings via ePO?
            tonyb99

The policies are picked up after the install when the agent pulls them down from epo

To get policies and also to disable parts to start with you will have the use mcafee installation designer (MID) to create a custom package in the first place and have this as the deployable package in epo rather than the vanilla one from mcafees download site

also what os are you pushing to and what patch levels are you using as win7 may have some issues that need adressing

Message was edited by: tonyb99 on 29/09/10 10:11:50 IST
            • 3. Re: How to unify VirusScan 8.7 settings via ePO?

OIC. I've used MID before. Will try to create the custom package out. But I do need 2 custom packages, one for server, another for workstation. Will having 2 custom packages in ePO cause any issues? In addition, do I need to check in Extensions? Sorry, i'm confused about the difference between checking in packages in Master Repository and checking in under Extensions.

Also, since I only use custom packages, should I remove the vanilla VS package as I don't need it. In fact, can I safely remove the other unused packages from the Repository like Agent for Linux, for Mac OS X, and unused Extensions like Groupshield for Exchange/Lotus Domino, LinuxShield and VirusScan for Mac?

My company are on majority WinXP Pro SP2, some SP3, while a handful are on Win7 with latest updates installed. So far, I have installed ePO McAfee Agents on 6 systems for testing, which are on Win7, and 1 installed on WinXP Pro SP2.

Based on my testing, none of the systems are adhering to my settings which I specified.

Hope this helps.

ePO is 4.5.0 (Build 937)

• 4. Re: How to unify VirusScan 8.7 settings via ePO?
                Attila Polinger

Hello,

OIC. I've used MID before. Will try to create the custom package out. But I do need 2 custom packages, one for server, another for workstation. Will having 2 custom packages in ePO cause any issues? In addition, do I need to check in Extensions? Sorry, i'm confused about the difference between checking in packages in Master Repository and checking in under Extensions

You check-in packages in Master reposiotry that are for deploying to clients. You check in Extensions to create the interface between the ePO GUI and the database, in other words, extensions are for interpreting what you configure in ePO GUI and make these changes in the ePO database. The reporting extension help ePO reporting interpet the appropriate events from the database. Theoretically, using the latest extensions for a point product is recommended (but sometimes these latest extensons have a bug or two).

You must check in the latest extension, too, if you have checked in any point product.

Also, since I only use custom packages, should I remove the vanilla VS package as I don't need it. In fact, can I safely remove the other unused packages from the Repository like Agent for Linux, for Mac OS X, and unused Extensions like Groupshield for Exchange/Lotus Domino, LinuxShield and VirusScan for Mac?

Yes, you can safely remove from ePO both the extensions and the point products that you do not use and you know you do not have in your environment (anyway, if you don't use any specific company policy for these, thery are out of management scope, so to say).

My company are on majority WinXP Pro SP2, some SP3, while a handful are on Win7 with latest updates installed. So far, I have installed ePO McAfee Agents on 6 systems for testing, which are on Win7, and 1 installed on WinXP Pro SP2.

Based on my testing, none of the systems are adhering to my settings which I specified

As for your Win 7 clients please check out these articles: KB67347 and KB67321.

As for the Win XP Pro SP2, check if this client is assigned the appropriate policy (that you want it to have) and if you see so from ePO console, check out the Agent log of this client (might need to consult KB58699 first then).

Attila

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 6. Re: How to unify VirusScan 8.7 settings via ePO?

Thanks guys. Your answers helped me heaps.