2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2010 2:16 PM by Peter M

Mcafee constantly restarting

Hello, it's been a week since mcafee is constantly "updating" and wanting to restart. Every day, it wants to reset the computer. The warning says:

Software Upgrade

McAfee Security Center

Upgrade to get the latest blah blah...

I'm not sure if this is a bug or is legit. I had to restart my computer to make some firewall changes, so.. to open the interface i need to restart again and is really annoying. I'm not sure if its protecting me from bad guys.

The exe files in MSC folder (mcinfo.exe, mcshell.exe) are File version: 10.5.177.0, have someone had this problem before? do I really need to give my mcafee version? It's late and don't wanna restart it again.

BTW the new interface is awful.

• 1. Re: Mcafee constantly restarting

Move to the Home & Home Office area for better visibility by an expert.

• 2. Re: Mcafee constantly restarting
            Peter M

Periodically the software updates require a restart.  It's best to do it before trying anything else.   If it is constantly asking you to restart even after you've already done that then there is possible corruption so the best thing you can do is as follows.

Uninstall via Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs (XP), Programs/Uninstall a Program (Vista/Windows 7)

Use the MCPR removal tool linked under Useful Links above and reboot.

Reinstall from your online account.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 27/09/10 3:16:29 EDT PM