5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2010 4:15 PM by mcshieldisthedevil

mcshield high cpu in 8.7.0i

Why does mcshield like to take up 100% CPU usage around 1-2pm every day which runs for 30 minutes to an hour?  This is installed on our webserver and kills all web access during this time period. If it was up to me, I would trash McAfee ASAP and use something else, but I can't since it is corporate policy.  Our local IT people have looked into this for the past 3 months with no resolution. Today they tell me McAfee has been working on it for months but hasn't given them an update.  Also, according to our IT people, it is NOT doing a system scan; it is something else. Unfortunately, the IT dept has everything locked in McAfee so I can't access or change any parameters.

VirusScan Enterprise 8.7.0i

ScanEngine version: 5400.1158

DAT version: 6115.0000

Installed patches: None

Installed modules: None

• 1. Re: mcshield high cpu in 8.7.0i
          andyross

For one, the latest patch level for 8.7 is 3, so it you should see about getting it updated to that first.

• 2. Re: mcshield high cpu in 8.7.0i

mcshieldisthedevil wrote:

Unfortunately, the IT dept has everything locked in McAfee so I can't access or change any parameters

Well there won't be anything you can fix. It's likely up to your IT to resolve the issue (unless your server has serious performance issues of it's own that you need to resolve yourself). Get them to have a look at KB68965 in the McAfee Support Portal (Note that the technote is only available to registered users on the Support Portal, so I can't post it here).

Message was edited by: mjmurra on 24/09/10 1:38:10 PM
            • 3. Re: mcshield high cpu in 8.7.0i

It is probably updating the virus definition (.DAT) files.  Your IT department should be able to change when this occurs.

Jay

Message was edited by: jguenrdc on 9/24/10 9:46:04 AM CDT
              • 4. Re: mcshield high cpu in 8.7.0i

So the IT dept and McAfee say it has all the patches, it just isn't showing them for some reason (way to go McAfee!).  It has been removed and reinstalled with all patches again.

It turns out it was doing a full scan at 1 or 2pm but it is NOT configured to do so. It is also configured to never use above 50% CPU, but I see mcshield at 85-99% CPU (when the taskmgr can get a refresh). The IT dept set everything in McAfee to never use more than 50% CPU but right this minute it is using 90+% CPU and has been running for over an hour.  I can't tell if it is doing a scan or what because I can't get a response from the system since mcshield has all the CPU.

• 5. Re: mcshield high cpu in 8.7.0i

So here is the final word on this.  McAfee gave us a patch that was supposed to fix this problem but it didn't. We have several servers that are experiencing this same condition and McAfee has no clue as to why. The final solution to fix this was to..... drum roll please....   DISABLE MCAFEE COMPLETELY.