5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2010 12:19 PM by roadrash

Cannot Update DAT file

Hi I get error messages that "my computer is not fully protected" and I "have to reinstall VirusScan".  The problem appears to be that the DAT file cannot be updated.  Virtual Technician cannot fix it.  I tried the posted solution on Document ID:TS100615 regarding the error message "detection signature file is between 8 and 29 days old."  This did not work.  I changed DAT to DATold after ending mcshield.exe, but when I tried Fix in SecurityCenter, no new DAT folder or files were created, so I restored the old DAT files so that I at least have something for VirusScan to work with.  Using DAT 6103.0000, VirusScan v. 13.15.  Computer date and time are correct.  Thanks for your help.

• 1. Re: Cannot Update DAT file
          exbrit

First make sure Internet Explorer is up to date (IE8 is the currently supported one) and set to its defaults by going to Tools/Internet Options/Advanced and clicking Reset, Apply and OK.

Close and reopen IE then go to Tools/Manage Add-ons and re-enable all the add-ons.

Then try uninstalling in the normal manner - Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs (XP), Programs/Uninstall a Program (Vista/Windows 7), run the MCPR removal tool linked in Useful Links at the top of this page, reboot and reinstall from your online account, not from any CD that you may have.

Edit:  in Computer Time make sure the time zone is also the correct one.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 22/09/10 1:24:04 EDT PM
          • 2. Re: Cannot Update DAT file
            Dinz

Hi ,

Could you please let us know the following information;

What is the operating system of the computer ?
            How is the computer connected to internet ? (DSl/wireless/dial up)
            Do we have any other security software installed in the machine ?
            Are we receving any pop up in the computer (with regards to any virus infections)

Please get back with the above details and we will proceed accordingly

Regards,
            Dinesh K
            McAfee Online Community Moderator

• 3. Re: Cannot Update DAT file

Hello,

I am running Windows XP Home Edition version 2002 Service Pack 3 with automatic updates.  I have Qwest DSL with a wireless modem (secured connection).  The McAffee is part of the Qwest/MSN service.  I am using Firefox as a browser and keep it updated, too.

No current pop-ups for viruses, but in the last few days I frequently get the message on my MSN live.com(hotmail) email that I have to refresh my browser because I am accessing the email from more than one machine (I am not).

In the last month or so, I have twice had to deal with the Security Suite malware.  The last time was about a week ago, and this DAT problem started maybe 2 days ago.  I used Malwarebytes to get rid of Security Suite, but this last time I had to do a full scan to get at the sneaky bit which took hours!  I did not know about Stinger until after, and ran it anyway to be sure.  Stinger said all was OK.

So, I have Malwarebytes and Stinger installed, but I think neither run automatically.

Edit:  I will wait to try the uninstall process ExBrit is recommending, until I hear from you, Dinz.  Thanks!

Message was edited by: roadrash on 9/22/10 1:54:57 PM CDT
              • 4. Re: Cannot Update DAT file
                Dinz

Hello roadrash,

Please click on start - clcik run and then type drivers

Look for a folder that says "etc" , make a double click on it.
                Make a right click on the file Host and select notpad to open it.

Make sure that the very last line of the page has 127.0.0.1 and nothing apart from it. Any entries below them could be deleted and save the file.

Host file.JPG

2. Click start - click run and then type cmd

In the command prompt window, type ping download.mcafee.com and check if we receive a reply from the website .

Regards,

Dinesh K

McAfee Online Community Moderator

• 5. Re: Cannot Update DAT file

I think the problem had already resolved itself, but I followed your instructions anyway Dinz.  I removed that word "localhost" from the end of the hosts file and everything pinged OK.   McAffee is updated now, thank you so much!

Just in case this is relevant for your knowledge . . .

I had removed a process a few days ago that seemed to be affecting the keyboard response rate (was super slow).  I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop and seems the fix was to stop a process associated with the battery.  Removing that process fixed the key response problem and it seems about that time I stopped getting all the McAffee warnings about being out-of-date, but I can't be sure I was so fixated on that awful keyboard issue.