7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2010 9:58 AM by exbrit

Event Viewer' Warning

Good morning/Afternoon all.

I wonder if somebody could please help me out.

Since purchasing a whole new setup. I have also upgraded to Windows 7. Ult 64. from Vista. Now I have noticed in my event viewer. I am getting the following warning

Process **\MCSVHOST.EXE pid (1460) contains signed but untrusted code, but was allowed to perform a privileged operation with a McAfee driver.

Is there a fix around this ? thank you.

• 1. Re: Event Viewer' Warning
          exbrit

Is your taskbar McAfee icon square (2009) or shield-shaped (2010)?

McAfee recommends uninstalling prior to upgrading the system - see this document: https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-1195

I'm not too sure about that particular error, perhaps Technical Support Chat (Useful Links above) might know.

But personally I ignore the Event Viewer as much as possible unless I'm experiencing malfunctions.

It may be advisable to follow the uninstallation, cleanup & reinstallation procedure laid out in that document anyway.

See if that helps.

• 2. Re: Event Viewer' Warning

I thank you for your response Ex Brit. I have been called out from town, for a day or so. So the first job when I get back, is to give your instruction a bash. Thank you!

• 3. Re: Event Viewer' Warning
              exbrit

OK, good luck.

• 4. Re: Event Viewer' Warning

I have been having the same problem since the lastest McAfee Security Center release (all was fine prior to the latest update). I too am running Windows 7 Ultimate x64. I recently had to reinstall my OS. I reformatted the disk and completely reinstalled windows and McAfee from the ground up.All was good at first. About a day later I started gettng the infamous "Process **\MCSVHOST.EXE pid (xxxx) contains signed but untrusted code, but was allowed to perform a privileged operation with a McAfee driver" for process "mfehidk". This warning occurs about every 2-3 hours. I have the latest McAfee software installed and updated. This is obviously a bug in the McAfee software which I've been experiencing now for several months. Also, the "Virtual Technician" will not run on my machine. Probably incompatible with my version of windows. McAfee, please fix this problem - your customer support is useless especially when they force hapless victims of this issue to go through the same set of "cookbook" steps to resolve this issue ... to no avail. Anyone have the URL to the Norton website?

• 5. Re: Event Viewer' Warning
                  exbrit

I would open a case with Technical Support Chat linked via Useful Links at the top of this page.

• 6. Re: Event Viewer' Warning

I opened two cases for this issue but was forced to give up based on the incompetence of the support staff. When I mentioned "cookbook" I meant that they (at least the 3 or 4 tech's that I worked with) had no ability to logically work through an issue and were merely telling me to do silly things like reinstall McAffee and purge folders and to attempt to take control of my desktop, all of which were done 4 or 5 time prior. Not sure why I would have to go through this ordeal especially after installing a fresh OS  and going through all the steps above several times. McAfee obviously does not have a solution to this problem and should just state as such.

• 7. Re: Event Viewer' Warning
                      exbrit

I'll ask my internal source if he has any idea what's causing this.   Personally I ignore most of what's in the Event Viewer unless I'm having issues.

If I didn't I'd be a nervous wreck.

It would also help to know your version of McAfee - 2009 (square icon) or 2010/11 (shield).

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 17/12/10 10:58:28 EST AM