4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2010 2:31 PM by caseymnpc

Manual Scans

I'm pretty new to the McAfee way of doing things.  The ePO is really nice but I'm having trouble figuring how to do some simple tasks.  Maybe this is a dumb question but how do I run a manual scan on a machine from the ePolicy Orchestrator 4.5?

Thanks,

Casey

• 1. Re: Manual Scans

Click the checkbox next to the system in the System Tree.  At the bottom, click Actions, Agent, Modify Tasks on a Single System.  Click New Task, Give it an appropriate name, and choose "On Demand Scan (VirusScan Enterprise 8.7.0)" (or whatever version you are using) as the Type.  Use the Next button to move through the Configuration and Schedule screens to set all the options the way you want them.  Click Save on the summary screen.  The system will get this task the next time it communicates with ePO, or you can click the checkmark next to it in the System Tree and click the "Wake Up Agents" button at the bottom.

With the default ePO, Agent, and VSE settings, you will only get entries in the Threat Event Log if the On Demand Scan finds something.

Jay

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Manual Scans

Thank you for your response.

Wow that is a lot of setup to run a simple manual scan.  Most AV products allow you to just right-click an agent and start a scan from there.  I've gone through these steps...now my next question is if I set that task to "Run Immediately", is it going to run every time the agent communicates with the ePO?  I already have scheduled scans set up, but I want to be able to just run a manual scan if I suspect that something is going on with a particular agent.

Thank you,

Casey

• 3. Re: Manual Scans

If it is set to run immediately, it will only run once.

You could set up a task at a higher level of the system tree, and set it to only run on systems with a "ScanItNow" tag (or something like that).  Then, when you want to scan a system, apply the ScanItNow tag to that system and wake up it's agent.  After the scan is done, you can remove the tag from that system and the task will be removed from the task manager on that system.  Later, if you want to scan that system again, apply the tag again at the task will run once again.

It seems that some things in ePO are great for affecting hundreds or thousands of systems at once, but are a little complicated for a one-or-two system task.  Overall, though, I still really like it even on our small (25 pc) network.

Jay

• 4. Re: Manual Scans

Great!  Thank you so much Jay.  That is very helpful.  I will try this out tonight. 

Thanks,

Casey