5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2010 12:53 PM by SafeBoot

Can EEFF be used in batch jobs?

I'm doing a feasability analysis for using EEFF to protect a number of documents being transferred outside the company.

The question is: Can I call EEFF in some scripted fashion to encrypt the folders/files before we transfer the files out to the other server?

Related question: Can I call EEFF in some scripted fashion to decrypt the files/folders after I've gotten them back?

Second related question: How fast does EEFF work? Is there a GB/minute benchmark for a certain CPU?

(I'm pretty confident that I can get EEFF working on the clients, so the holdup is on the batch jobs)

• 1. Re: Can EEFF be used in batch jobs?
          The question is: Can I call EEFF in some scripted fashion to encrypt the folders/files before we transfer the files out to the other server?

yes - you can do this by "touching" files when you have a particular application rule set up. You just need to open the file for write access - no need to actually write to it though.

Related question: Can I call EEFF in some scripted fashion to decrypt the files/folders after I've gotten them back?

harder, as it would involve a different rule, or a different application - if you're writing your own routine though this should be easy?

Second related question: How fast does EEFF work? Is there a GB/minute benchmark for a certain CPU?

Nothing published AFAIK.

• 2. Re: Can EEFF be used in batch jobs?

Perhaps I should have been clearer:

Batch jobs running on a server, triggered by some sort of scheduler. How do I handle the EEFF logon/identity part? SBADMCL ?

I'm suspecting I can set a policy for the batch job ID that says: Encrypt when you write to network share \\servername\encryptedshare.  Could I also write a policy for the job ID that says: Decrypt when you write (copy) files (from \\servername\encryptedshare) to \\servername\CleartextShare ?

• 3. Re: Can EEFF be used in batch jobs?

You can't use EEFF on servers - it's a client OS product.

For a list of the supported OSs see - https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB68072

You might be better with eBiz Server instead - that's a lot like PGP Command line.

• 4. Re: Can EEFF be used in batch jobs?

Hmmm. So I'd install PGP on all the clients that need to read the data, rather than EEFF?

I'm not sure I'd want to lose the controls that EEFF policies can provide for me at the client. I'm thinking a call to Gold support for more information?

Too bad we couldn't use eBiz server on the server side to set up encryption, and then EEFF on the client-side, to be able to read the data, and to maintain and enforce the encryption.

• 5. Re: Can EEFF be used in batch jobs?

Gold will tell you the same thing - you can't use EEFF on a server. It's designed to be used as you say, by the endpoints themselves.