5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2010 7:51 PM by johnnydoc

Check for updates and DAT download errors

When I check for updates, I get the message that there is a problem with my internet connection (which works fine for everything else non-McAfee).  I also get the internet error when trying to download Virtual Technician.  I went to the McAfee download site and downloaded DAT 6110.  When I ran it I got a message that it can;t find any "Qualifying McAfee Product".  Two days ago I got the browser redirect problem that sends me to ads when I click any link found from a yahoo or google search.

How do I get updates?  How do I identify and fix the redirect problem?

• 1. Re: Check for updates and DAT download errors
          Peter M

johnnydoc wrote:

When I check for updates, I get the message that there is a problem with my internet connection (which works fine for everything else non-McAfee).  I also get the internet error when trying to download Virtual Technician.  I went to the McAfee download site and downloaded DAT 6110.  When I ran it I got a message that it can;t find any "Qualifying McAfee Product".  Two days ago I got the browser redirect problem that sends me to ads when I click any link found from a yahoo or google search.

How do I get updates?  How do I identify and fix the redirect problem?

Those DAT's are only meant for Enterprise/Business products and don't work with the Consumer products.

What type of internet connection do you have and are you behind some kind of institutional firewall (university etc )?

What is your operating system and service pack and what browser/version are you using?

What version of Internet Explorer do you have installed?

Lastly what version  of McAfee is this, 2009 (square taskbar icon) or 2010 (shield icon) and how long is it since you bought it?

Try running the free version of THIS tool after updating it.  Let it remove everything it finds and reboot immediately if asked to.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 19/09/10 10:13:12 EDT AM
          • 2. Re: Check for updates and DAT download errors

I have Verizon FIOS internet.  I have no internet or connection issues unless it is virus or malware related it seems.  My computer seems to block any downloads of McAfee or other malware scan software I've tried to download.  I donwl;oaded JAVA and have no communication issues getting e-mal POP3  downloaded from Yahoo to Live Mail.  The error messages from malwarebytes.org and McAfee Updates are attached.  I get the same message from Virtual Technician download.

I have Windows XP Home 2002 SP3.  Browser until yesterday was IE 8.0.6001...  I loaded Google Chrome 6.0.472.62 which seems to not have the redirect issue.  I get the same download errors from either browser.

I have McAfee 10.5, Build 10.5.195 last updated 9/12/10 and Virus Scan 14.5, build 14.5.113, lated updated 9/14/10, DAT 6106  Engine Version 5400.1158.  I ran stinger10101048 and it found no viruses.

• 3. Re: Check for updates and DAT download errors
              Peter M

Thanks for that info johnnydoc.  It would appear that the connection issues are most likely malware-related as certain malware blocks any/most known security sites.

MBAM can be downloaded, updated and run all in 'Safe Mode with Networking' which I am hoping will work for you.

You can reach that by tapping F8 repeatedly while booting up and it is usually the 2nd choice in the ensuing startup menu you will see.

Try that and report back and good luck.

• 4. Re: Check for updates and DAT download errors

I downloaded MBAM to a flash drive on another computer and ran it on my computer.  It found several virus files and removed them.  The download blocking and browser redirecting is fixed.  Thank you for the help.  Attached is the MBAM log report in case it will help McAfee detect and remove these files that the current DAT did not detect.

• 5. Re: Check for updates and DAT download errors
                  Peter M

Thanks but they would need a sample of the actual infected files, zipped and password protected as per THESE instructions....for future reference at this stage I guess.  ;-)

Anyway, glad it's fixed.