3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2010 6:15 PM by k3tg

Lost Anti Virus with Latest Update

I just ran the latest update and once the computer was rebooted I started getting warning messages telling me that I didn't have an anti virus installed.  I clicked on the link and it took me to the McAfee site to buy the software!

Anti virus was running just fine before this last update.  I'm running it on a Windows XP Home SP3 computer.  Any ideas how to fix this?

• 1. Re: Lost Anti Virus with Latest Update
          k3tg

Did you previously have any security software installed?

Are you completely up to date with Microsoft Updates?

How do you connect to the internet?

Have you ever had any virus or malware issues?

IAre you running IE8?

It is possible the update may not have installed correctly. Try to uninstall via Add/Remove programs and reboot. Run the MCPR removal tool found at the top of this page under Useful Links to completely remove any traces of McAfee that may still be left behind and reboot again. Login to your online McAfee account and download and install your software.

Let us know if this resolves your issue.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Lost Anti Virus with Latest Update

Thanks for the reply.  I think I've fixed it.  I manually asked for another update and after 7 hrs download (I have dial up) it seemed to have fixed the problem.  I guess you were right and the antivirus part of the update didn't download correctly.

Thank the powers that I didn't have to do what you suggested, I was looking at least 24 full hours of downloading for that!!

Thanks again for your help!

• 3. Re: Lost Anti Virus with Latest Update
              k3tg

You are welcome and good luck to you.

When you are satisfied the problem has been resolved, would you go in and mark this thread as being answered?