3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2010 12:01 PM by Peter M

Security Center 9 vs 10

I get Security Center 9 build 9.15.179 from Cox for free. What are the differences between 9 and 10?

• 1. Re: Security Center 9 vs 10
          Peter M

The first thing that you'll notice is a different, simpler-to-use interface, see picture below.   Once installed just click on the "drawers" to expand them. or click "Navigation" for more options.

There is also a much more comprehensive Help section with links to Support and Accounts.

The applications are all basically the same except under tools, Quickclean is now a 'lite' version and Shredder can't shred individual files, only sections (such as Recycle Bin for example) and Visual Trace is gone.

Also Easy Network is no more, replaced by a simplified Home Network Defense module which basically allows you to trust or not to trust the network, or mark other machines as friendly or intruders but they also have to have McAfee installed for that to work.  Machines that don't have McAfee installed use Windows Network settings.

Data Backup and Restore is also gone, replaced by Online Backup (in certain suites only).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v732/Ex-Brit/My%20Stuff/mcafee-2010.jpg

Anyone with a current subscription will eventually update to this version, however it should be noted that those of you obtaining protection from 3rd parties, ISP's, Dell, etc. will see delays in upgrading.  That is beyond the control of McAfee,

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 17/09/10 12:34:08 EDT PM
          • 2. Re: Security Center 9 vs 10

I realize now that this may not be the right category to post this in  since my question is really broader than just Security Center. My main concern are the protection features such as antispam, antivirus and firewall.  I'm not as concerned about the tools or the parental controls. About a year ago started using the McAfee suite provided by my ISP, Cox, instead of purchasing software. I realized yesterday that Cox is not providing the latest version of McAfee software and that concerns me.

According to one review on CNET "The biggest feature update comes to McAfee's real-time defense engine,  called Artemis. In the 2010 version, it works in conjunction with  McAfee's SiteAdvisor to scan downloads as they occur. The scans include  using real-time URL, IP address, and domain name data in conjunction  with a blend of blacklists, whitelists, and cloud analysis to evaluate  downloads for threats before they land on your hard drive. According to  McAfee, its 2010 suite has huge leaps in performance, due in part to  selective process loading when you boot, and in part to flagging  already-examined files as safe. Overall, we found McAfee AntiVirus Plus  2010 to be a much-needed and long-overdue improvement to McAfee's  consumer protection line."

I've also seen tests at av-test.org, www.virusbtn.com and www.av-comparatives.org that have given the latest software less than glowing reviews so I start to wonder if the older versions I have is really protecting me well. My current Cox deal is great if it works well but "free" might be expensive if it doesn't.

Another concern is the time it takes to do a full system scan. I have a very large hard drive and it takes forever once a scan starts. So I guess my immediate questions are:

1. Do the 2010 antivirus, firewall, security center and site advisor versions provide better protection than the 2009 versions?

2. Do the 2010 versions work faster than the 2009 versions?

3. Do you happen to know if Cox will be upgrading their free software anytime soon?

For reference I am running Windows 7 x64 with a Quad Core processor and 4 GB of RAM.

• 3. Re: Security Center 9 vs 10
              Peter M
              1. Do the 2010 antivirus, firewall, security center and site advisor versions provide better protection than the 2009 versions?

The same.   They just work slightly differently.  You have Artemis in the 2009 version too.

2. Do the 2010 versions work faster than the 2009 versions?

That depends entirely on your drive size and content.  People still report slow scanning issues especially if they have compressed their entire drive (not a very sensible thing to do performance-wise), or have large quantities of zipped files/folders.

Development are working on ways of speeding things up but it's an ongoing process.    There are also other factors at play there such as disk read errors etc. that some disk maintenance may cure.

3. Do you happen to know if Cox will be upgrading their free software anytime soon?

I have no idea to be honest as it is entirely their decision.  Dell just did so the chances are others will follow.  Have you called them to ask?

FYI we do have beta testing although only this year's version is available right now, but the 2011 product should be released to beta sometime in November.

See: https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-1236

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 17/09/10 1:01:01 EDT PM