Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
This discussion is locked
37370 Views 23 Replies Latest reply: Dec 7, 2011 4:53 AM by captainsasu RSS 1 2 3 Previous Next
LouDHailer Newcomer 5 posts since
Sep 16, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 16, 2010 4:47 AM

real time scanning wont stay on

We get a message that real time scanning is turned off. I turn it on and it turns itself off a few seconds later.  We have Windows XP Home Edition. Please can anyone help?

• mp213 Newcomer 7 posts since
    Sep 15, 2010
    1. Sep 16, 2010 5:03 AM (in response to LouDHailer)
    Re: real time scanning wont stay on

I'm getting the exact same problem, on Windows Vista Home Edition. This started happening the minute I upgraded to v10. I've uninstalled any possible conflicting software (Malwarebytes' Anti Malware), haven't performed a system restore, and don't have any existing malware on my system, and I'm still seeing the issue. I really don't know what more I can do. On Virtual Technician, although I've run McAfee's inbuilt update service multiple times, it's asked me to restart, and yet the Technician is still picking up missing files that I thought I'd already updated!

My session ID is 27724169 and my problem log's attached.

Getting this problem resolved is my #1 goal right now, in light of the fact that all other anti virus software have been uninstalled and I am, literally, quite unprotected. Haven't had any issues until now, but perusing these forums, I'm realizing this is a common issue and if it's this common why hasn't it been more substantially resolved?

TIA

- MP

Attachments:
  • Dinz Master 3,223 posts since
    Oct 13, 2009
    2. Sep 16, 2010 10:50 AM (in response to mp213)

Hi All,

Sorry for your frustration, We would like to gather more information on the same. Please let me know if I can arrange a call back for you  and help you diagnosing the issue. I have sent you a Private message as well requesting for more details . Please have it replied and we will proceed accordingly.

Thanks & Regards,

Dinesh K

McAfee Online Community Moderator

Dinesh
    Ex Community Admin
    Sep 15, 2010
    4. Sep 17, 2010 9:35 AM (in response to LouDHailer)

I still have 317 days left on my subscription, and I have no idea what  happened with v10 because apparently, after downloading the updates and  restarting my system multiple times, Virtual Tech's status of the  "missing" files still stood. I did the logical thing of downloading the installer and seeing if that didn't solve anything. Nope. Turns out, it made everything worse. Ever since upgrading to v10, I've had problems on top of problems. Running DMSetup.exe just seems to have made things worse, since it uninstalled McAfee and then didn't install anything in its place and now when I tried reinstalling McAfee from my support disc, lo and behold, I can't reinstall either.

MS Outlook which was linked to McAfee now reports its extension.dat file is missing. My system is taking hits upon hits and I can't seem to get this fixed. Strange how a 'Real Time Scanning' failure snowballed into this. There are core files in my OS (Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit) that seem to be missing; forget about running system restore getting me back to a point of sanity, I can't run chkdsk either and am now sitting with a firewall that seems to be slowing down my system instead of protecting it, antivirus support from MS Security Essentials...since no other antivirus software will install.

Can't repair my Vista installation after the McAfee issues, because the disc I have is a reinstallation disc and I am very, very wary of having to install everything all over again just because of McAfee.

If someone can explain just what's happening, that would be great. No phone calls, just plain out support. Support can be issued anywhere; via email, on the forums (where the question was asked) would be a great way to start.

ETA: Ran MCPR.exe and have attached the log. As you can see, files that should be existing don't, probably because of process outlined above. So it can't be removed and it can't be installed. Lovely.

Message was edited by: mp213 on 9/17/10 9:35:57 AM CDT
    Attachments:
    Sep 15, 2010
    5. Sep 17, 2010 11:44 AM (in response to mp213)

As a follow up to my last comment, I ended up contacting Technical Support through chat and so far, I'm really sorry to say McAfee's support has not been conclusive since I'm still having issues and the woman I spoke to at Tech Support didn't seem to be listening to what I was saying. She had me restart my system after mcpr.exe blatantly said 'uninstallation incomplete' and had me run DMSetup.exe yet again...how she was expecting a different result, I have no idea. But there you go.

I realize the issue has now become an install/uninstall one but it started with real-time scanning and it doesn't seem to have been resolved. Attached are two screenshots; one's where the installation hangs and the second is the message I get afterwards.

So far, I haven't been able to find a solution anywhere; either from Tech Chat support, email (they tell me they've opened up a support ticket but nothing ever happens) or this community. I'm sorry if I sound like a moronic customer, but I'm extremely frustrated. After my subscription expired (in 317 days), I was looking to continue...now, I really don't think I'm going to. Please, please someone solve this issue and not over the phone. Here. Right now. Once and for all to the satisfaction of others who are obviously facing this issue.

What more can we do to get your attention?

Message was edited by: mp213 on 9/17/10 11:44:34 AM CDT
    Attachments:
  • k3tg Veteran 869 posts since
    May 22, 2007
    7. Sep 17, 2010 1:51 PM (in response to LouDHailer)

Sometimes a uninstall and reinstall will cure the problem but you should get in touch with Dinz as mentioned earlier in this thread as he is involved with these forums on a regular basis. Just click on his avatar and submit the info he is asking about so he can work with you to get it resolved.

If you should decide to uninstall go to Add/Remove programs and reboot the computer. Then run the MCPR removal tool found at the top of this page under Useful Links which will remove any remaining traces of McAfee that may remain form the uninstall and reboot again. Then login to your online McAfee account and download and install your software.

Tom K3TG

Volunteer Moderator
    Sep 15, 2010
    8. Sep 17, 2010 2:45 PM (in response to k3tg)

Hmm...I don't think you read what I wrote, k3tg. I ran DMSetup.exe which strangely, instead of updating, uninstalled the software I had and left a mess behind...it's not visible in Add/Remove programs; the MCPR tool doesn't remove the components completely, leaving an 'incomplete' message. The DMSetup.exe hangs during installation and gives me an 'installation incomplete' error when I try to run it to reinstall, and the backup dvd I have for reinstalling states problems during installation as well.

Dinz is asking me to get on the phone, but I can't; I travel often and I'm not currently in the country. I though I could get through to the Chat Tech Support which was an EPIC FAIL, because the person on the other end who kept assuring me that they'd do everything they could to help me, didn't do everything they could to help me. So you see, I'm stuck.

Thanks, Lou. I really hope you get the help you need too...although I'm beginning to believe neither of us is going to be satisfied at the end.

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points