4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2010 7:23 PM by Peter M

Browsing history/Tower running

For the last 2 weeks my computer has been running slow and freezing up. The tower seems to be making a noise as if something is running in the background. I have ran a virus scan (nothing detected), Superantispyware (removes cookies) and Anti-Malware (nothing detected). I also have gone to the internet option to delete browsing history, when doing this it will run the deletion for a few minutes. I will do this the last thing before I shut computer down (sleep mode)  for the night and when I go to start the computer in the morning it takes a good half hour to get it up and running somewhat right. I then will go to delete the browsing history and it once again will run the deletion for over 5 minutes. I hope someone out there can help me figure out what is going on here. Thank you!

• 1. Re: Browsing history/Tower running
          Peter M

craftymom12 wrote:

For the last 2 weeks my computer has been running slow and freezing up. The tower seems to be making a noise as if something is running in the background. I have ran a virus scan (nothing detected), Superantispyware (removes cookies) and Anti-Malware (nothing detected). I also have gone to the internet option to delete browsing history, when doing this it will run the deletion for a few minutes. I will do this the last thing before I shut computer down (sleep mode)  for the night and when I go to start the computer in the morning it takes a good half hour to get it up and running somewhat right. I then will go to delete the browsing history and it once again will run the deletion for over 5 minutes. I hope someone out there can help me figure out what is going on here. Thank you!

I answered your private message but as PM's are put in a queue for Admin approval it may be delayed reaching you, this is because some users have been abusing the process.  My original reply was a mistake and I deleted it.

Well here goes and it's rather involved so please bear with me.....!

I'm not so sure this is a question for us or more for a PC help forum to be honest.  When you ran Malwarebytes did you update it before running?  (I'm assuming that's what you mean by Anti-Malware)

If not then run the free version of Malwarebytes after having updated it.

Have you already tried doing the regular computer cleanup via Control Panel/Performance and Maintenance/'Free up space on your hard disk' and perhaps done a disk defragment?  That's the item 'Rearrange items on your hard disk to make programs run faster'.

It could be a hard drive that is slowly failing.  I've had it happen to me on a few occasions.

If you know the make of the hard drive(s) in your computer go to the manufacturer's website for their diagnostic utility.

You can find out that information and much more about your machine by downloading & running the free Belarc Advisor it gives a summary of just about everything to do with your computer.  Under the 'Drives' section it will list all your drives and tell your their model and serial numbers and if they are healthy or not.   Post the model number(s) here and I can perhaps steer you to a good diagnostic tool.

Meanwhile you could run a disk error check.  Assuming this is still XP SP3 go to Start/Run and type in cmd.exe and click Enter.

In the Command Prompt window type in chkdsk C: /r (with the spaces and assuming the disk is drive C otherwise change that) and then click the Enter key.

It will most likely refuse to continue saying that the volume is in use, try at next reboot Y/N?   Type in Y and click Enter.

Reboot and let it do its thing.  It takes quite a long time depending on drive size but wil tell you of there are disk read errors in it's final report.  It will also state if they were repaired or not.   If not then the drive is suspect.

If there is more than one volume (disk letter) then this exercise should be repeated for all.

• 2. Re: Browsing history/Tower running
            Peter M

I forgot to add there also may be clues as to why things are acting 'slow' in two places in your machine.

1.  Device manager - any question marks ??  (right-click My Computer > Properties > Hardware tab > Device Manager)

In there you can also expand the 'Disk drives' section and right click the drives > Properties The General tab will say if it's working properly or not.

2. Event Viewer - any items in there that might lead one to think there are probloems with the hard drive(s)?  (Start > All Programs > Adminstrative Tools > Event Viewer & probably under 'System')

• 3. Re: Browsing history/Tower running

Brit, sorry it took me a few days to get back here just been busy working. Thank you so much for all this information, I am going to start now doing all this you have here and will let you know how things are going. Crossing my fingers that this does work.

• 4. Re: Browsing history/Tower running
                Peter M

OK, good luck.