3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 13, 2010 11:26 PM by mmargolis RSS

Ent 8.7i mcscan32 engine initialisation failed. error 7

Hello group I hope you can help.

please forgive the length of the post as I will try to supply all information that may help me (us) solve this issue....

our local elementary school purchased (47) Hp mini #2012 books for the kids and teachers to use... (VSE8.7i was not part of the build and apparently placed on the system by the district)

since they were just out of the box (and in light of the current economic conditions for the school) I volunteered to help update (windows and some of the other basic programs) and configure them (the majority done on the district side).

at the direction of the school district I was to remove Mcafee... VSE 8.7i....

I had removed the program from 28 units when I was informed that I was misinformed.... and not to remove Mcafee....

As such I tried to do a system restore from the restore point just prior to me removing the program....

1. the OAS (An Access Scan) is disabled

2. the update fails...

I tired contacting Tech Support... no joy, as I do not have the grant number and the district does not seem to want to help other then to have us return the units so they can re image them... at a cost of 4.00 per unit (though we followed their direction)... I guess TS thought I was trying to pull a fast one...  so if someone from TS reads these boards*...

I tried to use the virtual tech program and it did find a few errors (log attached)...

I was able to correct a few by coping files from a good system over... note it states

Expected service state incorrect

Expected: running

Existing: paused

Sevice: mcshield "C:\Program files..........\\VirusScan Enterprise\Mcshield.exe"

This file is in fact in place.... so I do not know why it is paused.... and when I tried to enable it (OAS)... it will go through the motions but still not enable....

the only other errors reported now besides the above is with regards to patches.. which I can not update as it fails...

I also went to the repair cache file where VSE870 is located and tried to repair/mod the install... I get the error this product requires Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 or greater.

the systems have MSIE 8.....  ahhh  hello...(sorry frustration getting the better of me)

I have not seen (in searching this site) this exact error #7....  I did see a similar one and I downloaded and tried to use a super dat...  no joy...

I suspect it may be a reg error now? I hope someone can help...

Thank you in advance...

Matthew Margolis

* For TS if they read these boards....

Thursday, August 26, 2010

"What can I do to help?"  Matthew Margolis asked after he dropped his children off to school one day last week....

....Emerson is working to expand our students' use of computers during the school day as well as for homework.  We purchased dozens of HP Notebook computers that we hope to deploy to both classrooms as well as to selected students' homes......

http://mrmccombsblog.blogspot.com/

• 1. Re: Ent 8.7i mcscan32 engine initialisation failed. error 7
          tonyb99

You need to reinstall the software with a fresh copy from your supplier

First remove via add remove or via manual removal instructions https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB59996

and reboot then install as administrator

with it being win7 I wouldnt even try to overinstall.

also make sure they provide patch 3 for vse 8.7 as the MVT only showed patch 2

• 2. Re: Ent 8.7i mcscan32 engine initialisation failed. error 7

Tony,

I would love to do that, but the district will not supply the program, they will only offer for us to send the units back for re imaging... and charge the shcool 4.00 each....

even though we followed their direction to remove it in the first place...

I have only used the system restore on 3 units as testers....  the other units I have not done anything as of yet, as I saw the results of the testers...

so the count thus far is 28 units have 8.7i uninstalled...  3 of these units I ran system restore...  the others are just sitting until I can find a solution....

thus I am also looking into imaging one of the good units... and maybe re image from our own copy if you will... but it will again cost money to get what is needed to hold the image... (no burners on these units)...

Message was edited by: mmargolis on 9/13/10 3:22:48 PM CDT

Message was edited by: mmargolis on 9/13/10 3:23:12 PM CDT

Message was edited by: mmargolis on 9/13/10 3:37:02 PM CDT
            • 3. Re: Ent 8.7i mcscan32 engine initialisation failed. error 7

I maybe half way there....

since I have a corrupt unit and a good unit here, I started to look through the regedit line by line...

and I noticed that the engine is installed C:\program files\common files\Mcafee\engine

So, I compared what was in each...  and the bad was missing files... so I copied and moved the files to the  bad.... this at least activated the On Access Scan.....

update is still not working but I am getting there...                                                        

Message was edited by: mmargolis on 9/13/10 11:26:44 PM CDT