Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
4637 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 16, 2010 3:12 AM by zero RSS
zero Newcomer 3 posts since
Sep 13, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 13, 2010 5:51 AM

McAfee Disabled!!

Ok, recently i have strated to get the Windows Message saying that my PC is not protected. When I look at McAfee's Icon, it has a small red x on the icon. When I open the Security Center, it shows a lot of components as disabled.

A screenshot of the Security Center, Fullscreen capture 9132010 41611 PM.bmp.jpg

When I hit the Fix button, it works for some time the it says that componets could not be fixed because of some error.

Screenshot: Fullscreen capture 9132010 42213 PM.bmp.jpg

I tried installing McAfee Virtual Technician, but that too fails to install. This is what it says,

Fullscreen capture 9132010 43128 PM.bmp.jpg

i don't know what to do, please help.

My Specs,

Windows 7 64-bit

SecurityCenter Version: 9.15

DAT version: 6103.0000

Note: Also after windows loads, i see a blank blue screen for quite sometime and only after i wait for a significant amount of time, does Windows Explorer load. I don't know of this is related but thought it'd be wise to mention.

• Apprentice 38 posts since
    Sep 11, 2010
    1. Sep 13, 2010 8:42 AM (in response to zero)
    Re: McAfee Disabled!!

Hi,

You need to uninstall and reinstall McAfee for this issue, but certain customers has reported difficulties in installing McAfee in Windows 7 64 bit OS. Anyhow you may give a try to reinstall McAfee.

How to uninstall or reinstall supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR.exe)

Summary: This document explains how to remove and reinstall McAfee Consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool. This option should only be used after you remove your McAfee product through Add/Remove Programs.

NOTE: This tool is not compatible with Microsoft Windows 98 or ME.Description
    Running the McAfee Consumer Product Removal tool (MCPR.exe) removes all 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010 versions of McAfee consumer products.

Step 1 - Uninstall your McAfee consumer products using Add/Remove Programs in the Windows Control Panel Windows 2000/XP

1. Click Start, Settings, Control Panel.
    2. Double-click Add or Remove Programs.
    3. Select the McAfee SecurityCenter product.
    4. Click Remove and follow the steps provided.

Windows Vista \ 7

1. Click Start, Search, type Programs and Features, and click Go.
    2. Double-click Programs and Features.
    3. Select the McAfee SecurityCenter product.
    4. Click Uninstall and follow the steps provided.

Step 2 - Download and run MCPR.exe

1. Download the removal tool from: http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe
    2. Click Save and save the file to a folder on your computer.
    3. Navigate to the folder where the file was saved.
    4. Make sure all McAfee windows are closed.
    5. Double-click MCPR.exe to run the removal tool.

NOTE: Windows Vista users must right-click MCPR.exe and select Run as Administrator.
    6. Restart your computer after receiving the message CleanUp Successful.
      Your McAfee product will not be fully removed until the system is restarted.

If the message Cleanup Unsuccessful is displayed, follow the steps below to view and save your MCPR log files for analysis by Technical Support.

Saving troubleshooting logs

1. On the Cleanup Unsuccessful notification dialog, click View Logs.
    2. Your troubleshooting logs will open in a Notepad window. Click File, Save As, and save the file to your Desktop. Name the file MCPR_date.txt (for example: MCPR_Jan10_08.txt).
    3. Contact McAfee Technical Support and provide the log file to your technician for troubleshooting.

When all McAfee products are removed from your computer, continue to Step 3.

Installing McAfee consumer applications from your user account on the McAfee web page.

NOTE: Windows 2000 is not compatible with the latest versions of the Security Suites. New installations on Windows 2000 will install the 2009 product. Security content will update as expected.

Solution

1. Open your web browser.
    2. Type http://www.mcafee.com into the address bar and click Go.
    3. Click the Home and Home Office Tab at the top of the page.
    4. Click My Account at the top right of the McAfee downloads website.

5. Log in by typing your email address and password, then click Log In.

NOTE: If you want the website to remember your username and password, select Remember Me.

You now see a list of your available McAfee product subscriptions.
    6. In the Download / Install column, beside the product you want  to install, click Download.

7. Read the McAfee End User License Agreement (EULA) and, if you accept the terms and conditions, click I Agree.
    8. Click the Download button to begin the download / install process.

9. When prompted with the File Download - Security Warning for DMSetup.exe, click Run.

10. When prompted with the Internet Explorer Security Warning, click Run again.

11. You might be prompted to log in to a McAfee Security Center window. Use the same email address and password that you used in step 4.
    12. Select the McAfee consumer product you want to install.

If you want to customize the products to be installed, click Custom, and then click Next.

13. To install the complete suite, click Next.

NOTE: The download and installation time vary, based on the speed of your Internet connection.
    14. After the download process completes, on the Options screen, click Next..

15. After the installation has completed, click Finish.

In most cases a restart is not necessary, but you are advised to do so at your earliest convenience
  • Apprentice 38 posts since
    Sep 11, 2010
    3. Sep 13, 2010 8:16 PM (in response to zero)
    Re: McAfee Disabled!!

Only resolution for this issue is to reinstall McAfee. If your Internet connection is slow alternative method is to go for recover CD.

Can I get a backup copy, or CD-ROM, of my online service?

Summary: This document shows you where you can buy the Discover and Recover CD.

Description

At the time of purchase, there is an option to buy the product as a Package which includes a backup CD. If you did not choose this option, you can purchase a Discover & Recover CD at any time.

The Discover and Recover CD is a backup of your security service. In the event of hard drive failures, system crashes, or ISP problems, you can restore your service in seconds.

Solution

Buying the Discover and Recover CD

1. Go to the McAfee website.
    2. Click on Products.
    3. Under any product click Learn More.
    4. On the left side of the page, click Free Services.

5. On the right side of the page, you will see a section entitled Special Offer from McAfee.
    6. Click Add to Cart to buy a copy of the Discover and Recover CD.

You could check the same at  http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=CS40093&lang=en_US&prior_tid=2&Ans werID=16777216&turl==http%3A%2F%2Fkb.mcafee.com%2Finfocenter%2Findex%3Fpage%3Dco ntent%26id%3DCS40093%26actp%3Dsearch%26viewlocale%3Den_US

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points