1 2 Previous Next 11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2010 9:25 AM by ArrayOne

Total Protection Alert boxes refuse to close - Windows Vista

McAfee prompt boxes pop up at the bottom right of page. These are notifications e.g. "Software Updated" ''Program Wants Internet Access'' prompts.  At the bottom of the prompt, it has a clickable radio button that says "OK"  or ''Ignore'' etc. which should close the prompt box.  You hit the button and they don't close, I have to move them around the screen to hide them and have to restart my computer to close them.

A McAfee svc rep claimed that uninstalling / reinstalling my McAfee program would cure the problem, but this has not worked. I also could not uninstall using windows program & Features - I had to use McAfee MPCR.exe uninstaller. After I restarted, one of these boxes popped up again and now I'm looking for another option.  This only started happening with the new McAfee program.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Message was edited by: scampers on 13/09/10 08:34:11 CDT
        • 1. Re: Total Protection Alert boxes refuse to close - Windows Vista

Hello,

What is the version of Internet Explorer that you are using on the computer and is that your default browser? Please clarify

• 2. Re: Total Protection Alert boxes refuse to close - Windows Vista

Hi,

I have IE8, but my default browser is Chrome. The boxes appear to close after several hours, I left my machine switched on last night and this morning I found that the alert box had closed.

Thanks,

Scampers

• 3. Re: Total Protection Alert boxes refuse to close - Windows Vista

Great, anyhow I would recommend you to have the Internet Explorer as the default browser rather than Google Chrome

• 4. Re: Total Protection Alert boxes refuse to close - Windows Vista

I have a similar, if not the same, problem.

McAfee detected a program on my PC that is trying to accept incoming connections from the Internet, but that program is Google Chrome, which is my default to access the Internet.

Is this a false alarm?

Should I "allow always" Google Chrome?

Anyway I "allowed once". Is this a problem?

Aldrin, please clarify why you recommend to have Internet Explorer as the default browser rather than Google Chrome.

Message was edited by: ArrayOne on 9/21/10 1:46:44 AM CDT

Message was edited by: ArrayOne on 9/21/10 4:56:59 AM CDT
                • 5. Re: Total Protection Alert boxes refuse to close - Windows Vista
                  Dinz

Hello Array one ,

Personal Firewall displays an alert when it detects Internet or network traffic from new or modified applications. If an alert appears recommending caution when allowing the application Internet access, you will see the pop up from McAfee to which you can select Click here to get more information about the application.

Example reasons an application might request Internet access:

* A program might need to check for automatic updates.
                  * A program might need to retrieve information such as email, news, or music.
                  * A program might need to communicate with a licensing server to verify your right to use the program. (Google chrome as in you case)

Additionally , You must have at least one of the browsers below:

Microsoft® Internet Explorer 6.0 or later
                  Mozilla Firefox 2 or later

Normally, we have seen applications encountering problems while  using a different browser which is set to default rather than the recommended ones and that is the reason for setting IE to be as default browser.  Please let us know if we are encountering any issues even after setting IE as default browser .

Regards,

Dinesh K

McAfee Online Community Moderator

• 6. Re: Total Protection Alert boxes refuse to close - Windows Vista

I find it outrageous that ANY program dictates which browser I must have as my default. I personally detest Internet Explorer and if Total Protection insists on it being my default browser then I shall NOT be renewing my subscription (which I've had for many years!) and try another product.

• 7. Re: Total Protection Alert boxes refuse to close - Windows Vista

Thanks for the explanartion.

I urge McAfee to develop its product so that it works seamlessly with all browsers, including Chrome and Opera, as defaults.

Not doing so may undermine the image of a company that depends on its customers believing that its R&D department is not asleep.

• 8. Re: Total Protection Alert boxes refuse to close - Windows Vista
                        exbrit

scampers wrote:

I find it outrageous that ANY program dictates which browser I must have as my default. I personally detest Internet Explorer and if Total Protection insists on it being my default browser then I shall NOT be renewing my subscription (which I've had for many years!) and try another product.

It does NOT dictate what browser you should be using.   It DOES use Internet Explorer, regardless of which browser you are using.    Hence it is advisable to make sure that IE is always updated and at its defaults, but that doesn't mean you have to use it yourself..

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 26/09/10 7:18:16 EDT AM
                        • 9. Re: Total Protection Alert boxes refuse to close - Windows Vista

Dear ExBrit,

Thank you for the explanation.

Does this mean that I must always have Internet Explorer open, even if I don't use it?

What are the consequences of having another browser as default? Of not opening Internet Explorer?

I would rather have Google Chrome as my default browser.

Sometimes I use Mozilla Firefox.

I seldom use Internet Explorer, only for pages that are problematic at my favorite browser.

If I don't like to have Internet Explorer as my default, may I have my money back?

Best regards,

RA1

Message was edited by: ArrayOne on 9/26/10 9:18:20 AM CDT
                          1 2 Previous Next