1 2 3 Previous Next 28 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2010 10:29 AM by SPyron

Why do all of my printed email contain the header "X-MSK: Ham" and how do I remove it?

BigDogues

Why do all of my printed email contain the header "X-MSK: Ham" and how do I remove it?

Thanks in advance,

Phil

• 1. Re: Why do all of my printed email contain the header "X-MSK: Ham" and how do I remove it?
          k3tg

Have you recently made any changes to your computer, such as installing any new programs, deleting any programs, etc?

When did this problem initially start?

Have you recently had any virus or malware issues?

Is it possible to give us a screenshot of what you are seeing?

What is your thoughts about this having to do with the McAfee software?

Please try to run the McAfee Virtual Technician found at the top of this page under Useful Links under Technical Support. MVT will scan your computer for any McAfee related issues and if it finds any it will attempt to fix them. It will generate a session id number and I need you to post it here on this forum for further analysis.

Let us know so we can follow up

• 2. Re: Why do all of my printed email contain the header "X-MSK: Ham" and how do I remove it?
            Peacekeeper

Also look at the header of the email (right-click the email, go to Properties  or "Message Options", and look at the header for tags that begin with  "X-MSK:". First, this will tell us if it IS mcafee's product that is tagging  the emails, or if it is another process/product. If there is an MSK tag,  then make note of the entire tag e.g. "X-MSK: UF", along with any other  lines that reference "X-MSK" so we can figure the cause.

Post any other lines in the heading with X-MSK

I have asked the tech who knows all what the Ham means

His reply

"X-MSK: Ham" is the MSK rating of the email.  In this case, it's rated as "Ham".  It will attempt to classify incoming email messages as 'spam', 'ham' (good, non-spam email) or 'unsure'. This means you can have spam or unsure messages automatically filed away in a different mail folder, where it won't interrupt your email reading.

Most (all?) anti-spam programs mark emails with a rating, and they too would leave that rating in the email header for sorting and tagging purposes within the email client.

If they are printing email (doesn't that defeat the purpose of email being paperless?) they should typically be printing the message content, not the headers which are not displayed (you have to go looking for the properties of the email to view the headers).

Alternatively, they might want to look into their print function, because (at least AFAIK because I rarely print email) most printer drivers print just email content by default.  Test printing a sample email from your own system if you like.

There's no way to turn this rating and subsequent marking off without turning off or otherwise disabling MSK.

If it really bothers them and they really, really want to get rid of it, they could simply uninstall MSK.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 10/09/10 6:47:07 AM

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 10/09/10 6:50:19 AM
            • 3. Re: Why do all of my printed email contain the header "X-MSK: Ham" and how do I remove it?
              lochkelly

Is there no way to have this X-MSK line omitted in Outlook 2010 print settings? I searched but cannot find an option to omit it.

Exactly what is MSK and what happens if I uninstall it?

BTW, I print the e-newsletter I do for our church (along with accompanying webpages) for future reference for anyone that may subsequently volunteer for this job in the future.

Thanks,

Lisa in The Lowcountry

• 4. Re: Why do all of my printed email contain the header "X-MSK: Ham" and how do I remove it?
                Peacekeeper

Where exactly is this printed on the printed email. I tried printing several of mine and saw nothing.

MSK is Mcafee spamkiller. It moves spam emails to a folder under your inbox for deletion when you want to do so.

Ham in the comment line mean good email ie spam yuk ham yummy. Really tag should not be visible will look further.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 14/10/10 6:22:29 AM
                • 5. Re: Why do all of my printed email contain the header "X-MSK: Ham" and how do I remove it?
                  lochkelly

I printed the email I got about your post. It looks the same as the screen shot of the print preview in Outlook 2010, below.

email shot.jpg

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Lisa

• 7. Re: Why do all of my printed email contain the header "X-MSK: Ham" and how do I remove it?

Lisa - What is the version of McAfee that you have on your computer and how was that installed (website or disk)?

• 8. Re: Why do all of my printed email contain the header "X-MSK: Ham" and how do I remove it?
                      lochkelly

I have McAfee Total Protection and don't know how to find what version. I recently renewed our subscription and downloaded updates from the website within the last month.

Lisa

• 9. Re: Why do all of my printed email contain the header "X-MSK: Ham" and how do I remove it?

Just checked out your profile, since you are using McAfee for a long time I presume there may be some remnants of the older version of Spam Killer still on the computer. In order to confirm that, can you please try the following:

Uninstall SpamKiller using the Windows Add/Remove Programs feature

1.    Click Start.

2.    Click Control Panel.

3.    Double-click Add/Remove Programs.

4.    In the Add/Remove Programs dialog, locate McAfee SpamKiller and click the Add/Remove button.

If the un-installation fails (or) is unable to completely remove SpamKiller (or) no such program found in Add/Rem, continue to the next section.

Run the SpamKiller removal tool

IMPORTANT: You should only run the SpamKiller removal tool after using the Windows Add/Remove Programs feature to uninstall SpamKiller.

1.    Download the SpamKiller removal tool from the URL below:
                        http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MSKCleanupTool .exe

2.    Save the file to your desktop.

3.    Double-click MSKCleanupTool.exe.

4.    The removal tool will display the time when the removal process will begin.
                        Note: The displayed time should be within one minute of the time shown on your system clock.

5.    When the removal is complete, you will be prompted to restart your computer. Press Y to restart.

After the computer restarts, you can verify that the removal was successful by looking at the contents of the mccleanup.log file on your desktop.

Good Luck

1 2 3 Previous Next