8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2010 8:23 AM by rbarstow

Force Sync

Rob343

HI all

I am going through my last sync report trying to kick some machines into live. I have identified a machine that is on but has not sync'd for a while. I can Ping the machine fine so i know its on it i try to 'force sync the machine from the console it try's to contact it on its last known address then it try's with the network name but fails.

But if I ping the machine from the McAfee server it resolves it to 172.22.6.54. why isn't it resolving it within the console.

thanks guys

• 1. Re: Force Sync

But if I ping the machine from the McAfee server it resolves it to 172.22.6.54. why isn't it resolving it within the console.

Did you ping using machine name? You can re-enter last known IP into EEM database manually. Synch form the server is known to have its deficiences. Synch from a client instead.

• 2. Re: Force Sync
            Rob343

yes machine name. its not that easy to do it from the machine side.

• 3. Re: Force Sync
              rbdudani

what is the ip it is showing ? in machines properties on EEM?

• 4. Re: Force Sync

yes machine name. its not that easy to do it from the machine side.

Why not? Just contact a person that is using it.

Did you try to change last sync IP via EEM GUI?

• 5. Re: Force Sync
                  Rob343

can you advice how i change it in the gui/database please

• 6. Re: Force Sync

Start EEM, navigate to your machine object, doubleclick to see it's properties.

Click on "Synch" icon on the left side of properties window. You will see field called "Address". Retype proper IP in that field.

Click "Apply" and "Close" buttons on the bottom.

• 7. Re: Force Sync

Nice tip Peter, however that doesn't work for objects in a controlled group. That's ok, because I can work around that the same way we handle many machines that aren't working quite right:

Move the machine to the "new machines" group, which has a default policy setting, but is uncontrolled.

Make whatever machine-specific changes are required to resolve the issue

Force sync.

After the problem is resolved, move the machine back to its regular (controlled) group.

• 8. Re: Force Sync

one reason you might not be able to do a force sync is if the machine has a firewall active and you've not opened up port 5556 (or whichever one you used for incoming communications for EEPC).