2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2010 3:32 AM by McBru

Scan engines are Offline

Hello,

Following a 'difficult' migration on FS1000 appliances, from v6.5 to v7, we are now stuck with two OFFLINE scan engines.

I saw in some discussions that resync our Faultline passwords could help, but

- I have no access to FScan console as we now run the scanners in service mode

- The 'manage' button in the Engine management web menu is gray (I cannot access it)

Also, we have following error message in logs:

2010-09-08 16:49:55+01:00 |  | 1 | FSScanCtrl | 0x0F24 | Data Service Exception ERROR (0x80040e14; IDispatch error #3092) : Cannot execute as the database principal because the principal "Faultline" does not exist, this type of principal cannot be impersonated, or you do not have permission.

2010-09-08 16:49:55+01:00 | CFSScanCtrlDatabase::Request_GetPostProcessingItemFromQueue | 1 |  | 0x0F24 | Data Service Exception ERROR (0x80040e14; IDispatch error #3092) : Cannot execute as the database principal because the principal "Faultline" does not exist, this type of principal cannot be impersonated, or you do not have permission.

I checked the EngineID in the registry of the two scanners, and compared with the engines table of the Faultline database.

One ID match, the other does not, probably because the scanner was reinstalled on the machine to correct another issue.  Both scanners however show offline.

Also, in the engines table, two other scanners with same names but different IDs appear.

Could someone help ?

• 1. Re: Scan engines are Offline
          jhaynes

Its going to be difficult to fix you up correctly without a remote session which will require you to open up a service request.  In the mean time you can probably get the engine you reinstalled form scratch online by making it an available scan engine.

1. Login into the Enterprise Manager as GlobalAdmin.
          2. Right click your Organization and click properties.
          3. Select the Scan Engines tab.
          4. Put a check mark next to each scan engine that you wish to make available.

The issue with this is that all scan configs are tied to an engine by it GUID. Now that the engine has been reinstalled from scratch it has lost its GUID. We can fix that by taking the GUID from the engines table and putting in the registry of the scan engine but there are some gotchas and I'd be more comfortable doing that with you with a case open.

I'm not sure whats going on with your other scan engine but we would need to start looking at the logs to determine what went wrong.

Jeff Haynes

• 2. Re: Scan engines are Offline

Thanks for your answer; I had a case opened for two weeks and tried to ask the community for some help.  In the meanwhile McAfee T3 support could help me through remote assistance and our appliances are now fully functional again.

Have a nice day and thanks again for your effort,

Bruno.