Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
72258 Views 17 Replies Latest reply: Sep 29, 2010 8:31 AM by mcafeeUser5 RSS 1 2 Previous Next
JulesG Newcomer 2 posts since
Sep 7, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 7, 2010 9:05 AM

My Security Shield

I have something on my machine called My Security Shield which keeps popping up with virus, trojan and identity theft warnings then trying to get me to purchase their security package. I'm assuming that this is a virus in itself as I can't seem to get rid of it from my machine. I have bought the McAfee programme but it doesn't seem to find it or get rid of it and I don't know what to do, the pop-ups are getting worse & I'm worried it might be doing other things to my machine?

Can anyone help me get rid of this & why doesnt my McAfee pick it up and get rid of it?

Thanks!

• rmetzger Champion 566 posts since
    Jan 4, 2005
    1. Sep 7, 2010 10:23 AM (in response to JulesG)
    Re: My Security Shield

JulesG wrote:

I have something on my machine called My Security Shield which keeps popping up with virus, trojan and identity theft warnings then trying to get me to purchase their security package. I'm assuming that this is a virus in itself as I can't seem to get rid of it from my machine. I have bought the McAfee programme but it doesn't seem to find it or get rid of it and I don't know what to do, the pop-ups are getting worse & I'm worried it might be doing other things to my machine?

Can anyone help me get rid of this & why doesnt my McAfee pick it up and get rid of it?

Thanks!

Hi Jules,

There is an excellent guide to Remove My Security Shield (Uninstall Guide) found at BleepingComputer.com.

Please read the instructions (print it off if helpful) and ask any questions here for any help if you are unsure about what to do, before attempting this.

Follow the instructions carefully, and let us know if we can help further.

Thanks,

Ron Metzger

• rmetzger Champion 566 posts since
    Jan 4, 2005
    3. Sep 7, 2010 3:30 PM (in response to JulesG)

JulesG wrote:

Thanks for your help this was great & fingers crossed it has now gone!

--My fingers crossed too (for you.)

Good luck,

Ron Metzger

• mryezl Newcomer 1 posts since
    Sep 8, 2010
    4. Sep 8, 2010 7:17 AM (in response to JulesG)

This same thing happen to me. I hope i have got it off.It would want you to buy it and that thing just would not go off.  It has to be a virus are something.

• mcafeeUser5 Newcomer 8 posts since
    Sep 11, 2010
    5. Sep 11, 2010 11:00 PM (in response to mryezl)

Same thing happened to my clients computer.  Thank goodness for google.  I never would have found this without google.  My security shield virus seems to spreading rapidly.  I am surprised McAfee or Microsoft don't have more info about it.  But the bleepingcomputer.com and freepcguide.com were good.  I guess reliable, I am still finishing getting rid of the virus and getting the computer back to normal though.  Using a different computer to post this.

Sep 11, 2010
    6. Sep 12, 2010 8:34 PM (in response to mcafeeUser5)

Actually no that didn't work.  I turned the computer off... and when I turned it back on...the virus was back...

so need to go to this page...

http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_271854.htm

but to work with DATs and engine.... just download...run... then that fixes the whole problem?

• vinoo McAfee Employee 513 posts since
    Apr 9, 2010
    7. Sep 18, 2010 5:20 AM (in response to JulesG)

If you suspect you're infected and have trouble finding what is causing the infection, I'd suggest giving this handy tool a try.

"McAfee GetSusp is intended for users who suspect undetected malware on their system. By using a combination of clever heuristics and querying McAfee's online database of known clean files to gather suspicious files, GetSusp eliminates the user's need for deep technical knowledge of computer systems to isolate undetected malware. McAfee GetSusp is recommended as a tool of first choice when analyzing a suspect machine."

Get it from here:
    https://community.mcafee.com/message/148081#148081

Once GetSusp identifies and collects the suspect files, post the logs here and we community members can help.

Regards,
    Vinoo Thomas
    Technical Product Manager, McAfee Labs

Sep 11, 2010
    8. Sep 19, 2010 4:36 PM (in response to vinoo)

Why is GetSusp not on McAfee Labs Tools Website...

http://vil.nai.com/vil/averttools.aspx#002

Sep 11, 2010
    9. Sep 19, 2010 5:10 PM (in response to mcafeeUser5)

Stinger didn't find anything.  But GetSusp found lots...

report is attached...

so now what?

Attachments:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points