2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2010 11:48 PM by Murr45

Fed up with this...

Every time I sign on to AOL the damn McAfee Security Center (9.15) decides that it has to "phone home" for updates. This slows my pc down (sometimes almost to a crawl) until the *******' updates have been installed. Even if I temporarily disable the automatic updates (when I want to download something) it still searches for & downloads these updates. As far as I'm concerned this software is a piece of junk & when my subscription runs out I'm done with McAfee. There has to be a better, less intrusive antivirus program out there.

• 1. Re: Fed up with this...
          Dinz

Sorry for your frustration, Could you please let us know how is your computer connected to internet ? is that through a DSL/wireless)
          Also do we have any other security program (in the past) that could interrupt the virus scan updates ?

Regards,
          Dinesh K
          McAfee Online Community Moderator

• 2. Re: Fed up with this...

To connect the the Internet I use AOL 9.0 VR (Vista Ready) with a dial up conection on an XP Home (Service Pac 3) machine. It's not the virus scan updates that are being interrupted. Since I have a slow dial up connection I'll temporarily disable the automatic updates when I want to download a particular file (for example, a game patch). I do this by selecting manual updates in Security Center Configuration. However I find that the Security Center still searches for, downloads & installs the updates regardless of the fact that I have selected manual updates. When this happens my pc can sometimes freeze while the Security Center installs the updates (it seems as if it's hijacking my pc). That is what is so ...