1 2 Previous Next 12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2010 9:09 AM by tonyb99

Failed upgrade from epo 4.0p7 to epo 4.5p3 - unable to backup epo directory

tonyb99

Failed upgrade from epo 4.0p7 to epo 4.5p3 - unable to backup epo directory so I have to rollback. There is plenty of space and no issue with rights. I do also have rogue system detection installed in the d:\program files\mcafee folder but this shouldnt be an issue. Anyone got any ideas?

11:44:31 ePO450CALog: Setting the current directory to [C:\WINDOWS\system32].
      11:44:31 ePO450CALog: End Prod_UnregisterOldProductFiles
      11:44:33 ePO450CALog: Loading properties into global variables was successful.
      11:44:33 ePO450CALog: Start Prod_MoveOldProductFolder
      11:44:33 ePO450CALog: Upgrade detected so moving the older product folder as follows:
      Source: [D:\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator]
      Target: [D:\Program Files\McAfee\Backup of ePolicy Orchestrator]
      11:48:33 ePO450CALog: FAILURE: In RenameFile with error code [-1] while moving the folder as follows:
      Source: [D:\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator]

Target: [D:\Program Files\McAfee\Backup of ePolicy Orchestrator]
      11:48:36 ePO450CALog (RB): Loading properties into global variables was successful.
      11:48:36 ePO450CALog (RB): Start Prod_RegisterOldProductFilesRollback
      11:48:36 ePO450CALog (RB): Loading the following DLL for Use: [C:\DOCUME~1\EPOSER~1.LIV\LOCALS~1\Temp\1\{6A58D18A-52DF-4378-80CB-DB9B2F681E0D }\CommonSetup.DLL]
      11:48:36 ePO450CALog (RB): Setting the current directory to [C:\DOCUME~1\EPOSER~1.LIV\LOCALS~1\Temp\1\{6A58D18A-52DF-4378-80CB-DB9B2F681E0D }].
      11:48:36 ePO450CALog (RB): Registering previous product files in the following folder: [D:\Program Files\McAfee\Backup of ePolicy Orchestrator]
      11:48:36 ePO450CALog (RB): Unloading the following DLL: [C:\DOCUME~1\EPOSER~1.LIV\LOCALS~1\Temp\1\{6A58D18A-52DF-4378-80CB-DB9B2F681E0D }\CommonSetup.DLL]
      11:48:36 ePO450CALog (RB): Setting the current directory to [C:\WINDOWS\system32].
      11:48:36 ePO450CALog (RB): End Prod_RegisterOldProductFilesRollback
      11:48:38 ePO450CALog (RB): Loading properties into global variables was successful.
      11:48:38 ePO450CALog (RB): Start Prod_StartOldServicesRollback
      2010/09/07 11:48:39 CALog (RB): Loading properties into global variables was successful.
      2010/09/07 11:48:39 CALog (RB): Start MerMod_StartPreviousServicesRollback
      2010/09/07 11:48:39 CALog (RB): Rollback detected so reconfigure Previous Tomcat Service.

• 1. Re: Failed upgrade from epo 4.0p7 to epo 4.5p3 - unable to backup epo directory
          Attila Polinger

Hello,

I went through the same situation quite recently, if you bother to read my thread at https://community.mcafee.com/thread/27527?tstart=0 you can see what happened.

I recommend using File Monitor from Sysinternals during the repeated upgrade attempt (it is enough to include msiexec.exe as monitored process), and although it alone does not tell you much other than the result (SUCCESS or other ) of the actual file rename operation, it might be helpful.

I am not sure if there is another utility that tells you what exactly is locking any file due to which renaming cannot be performed, but if you find one, I'd be happy to get told.

Attila

• 2. Re: Failed upgrade from epo 4.0p7 to epo 4.5p3 - unable to backup epo directory
            tonyb99

So looking at your thread your files were in use..

I thought that may have been the issue but as I've already switched off all the epo service tasks, including the respository task, I'm at a loss a to what else I can turn off.

I suppose I could shut down the epo services to prevent workstations attempting to use the files but I assumed that then the install would fail.

Any suggestions......

• 3. Re: Failed upgrade from epo 4.0p7 to epo 4.5p3 - unable to backup epo directory
              tonyb99

Anyone got an idea if the RSD server install will still be referencing the epo install, or whether I can shut down the epo services during the upgrade at some point

• 4. Re: Failed upgrade from epo 4.0p7 to epo 4.5p3 - unable to backup epo directory
                Attila Polinger

Its not that any ePO (?) service tasks should be disabled (if I understood you correctly) before the upgrade, since the installer would stop all ePO services anyway before the backup, releasing those files, but its that there are some files that it wants to rename as well (like db.properties) beside that it wants to copy the entire folder. Maybe you also checked out the KB article that I mentioned in my thread and also checked out if you had any already renamed such files  somewhere under the epo installation folder that one of your previous ePO upgrade left there and now the new upgrader are unable to rename files again because their renamed counterparts already exist.

I had such leftover renamed files and my first action was to further rename them so they won't be an obstacle.

Also, I rebooted the ePO server before the upgrade to be sure.

Attila

• 5. Re: Failed upgrade from epo 4.0p7 to epo 4.5p3 - unable to backup epo directory
                  tonyb99

I had already renamed the only .Bak file,  that kb was the first thing I ran through after I got the error.

The system had also just been rebooted.

I guess I'll have to retry it with process monitor switched on and see whats happening.

• 6. Re: Failed upgrade from epo 4.0p7 to epo 4.5p3 - unable to backup epo directory
                    tonyb99

KICKS himself

Ok I ran process explorer and of course it turned out my shortcuts on the desktop to some of the log files were locking them. removed shortcuts and got past that.

but I'm still getting a new error:

2010/09/08 08:58:10 CALog: FAILURE: In LaunchAppAndWait while trying to run the following program:

"D:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\EPOLIC~1\Installer\Core\install.bat"

Return code: 1

Error Message: Incorrect function.

CustomAction: MerMod_RunOrionANTInstaller

2010/09/08 08:58:10 CALog: Start createInstallerMER

2010/09/08 08:58:10 CALog: Setup detected the TomcatLogs folder already exists so skip copying the logs. [C:\DOCUME~1\EPOSER~1.LIV\LOCALS~1\Temp\1\McAfeeLogs\EPO450-Troubleshoot\Tomcat Logs]

2010/09/08 08:58:10 CALog: Tomcat orion.properties file detected so copying as follows: [D:\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Server\conf\orion\orion.properties] to [C:\DOCUME~1\EPOSER~1.LIV\LOCALS~1\Temp\1\McAfeeLogs\EPO450-Troubleshoot\orion. properties]

2010/09/08 08:58:10 CALog: Tomcat db.properties file detected so copying as follows: [D:\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Server\conf\orion\db.properties] to [C:\DOCUME~1\EPOSER~1.LIV\LOCALS~1\Temp\1\McAfeeLogs\EPO450-Troubleshoot\db.pro perties]

2010/09/08 08:58:10 CALog: End createInstallerMER

2010/09/08 08:58:13 CALog (RB): Loading properties into global variables was successful.

2010/09/08 08:58:13 CALog (RB): Start MerMod_RunOrionANTInstallerRollback

2010/09/08 08:58:13 CALog (RB): Rollback detected so running core downgrade ANT installer.

checked my DB server and the our dba had removed my service account as the owner so slipped that backin and trying again (not hopefull though)

UPDATE: No that didnt work either, this just seems to be a non starter

Message was edited by: tonyb99 on 08/09/10 10:29:25 IST
                    • 7. Re: Failed upgrade from epo 4.0p7 to epo 4.5p3 - unable to backup epo directory
                      PhilR

To get round this, I stopped every service I could think of (seemingly to no avail), deleted the apache_backup folder and stripped off and read-only permissions anywhere in the epo install directory.

Install then proceeded.

Phil

Message was edited by: PhilR on 09/09/10 09:57:09 CDT
                      • 8. Re: Failed upgrade from epo 4.0p7 to epo 4.5p3 - unable to backup epo directory
                        tonyb99

It seems to have been bad leftovers in the DB.

eventually reinstalled from scratch and reimported my policies and keys etc back into epo 4, then upgraded to 4 patch 3, then installed RSD 2, then upgraded to 4 patch 6 then reapplied all the stuff I'd lost and prayed while I updated to 4.5 patch 3.

Its going to be fun resetting all my automated stuff but at least I dont miss my window for my 4.5 agent rollout tomorrow.

nice lesson in total disaster recovery and that rollbacks dont always do what they say on the tin

• 9. Re: Failed upgrade from epo 4.0p7 to epo 4.5p3 - unable to backup epo directory

Hi PhilR,

i don't understand your workaround to bypass this issue.

I have the same issue reported in this topic. When I try to upgrade ePO from 4.0 to 4.5 P3 (but the problem is present also with P1) an error message appear: "setup was unable to backup...". I open logs in home temp folder and I find a failure like "In RenameFile with error code...". The folder ePO trying to backup is located in d:\ePolicy Orchestrator\ not in default one.

This morning I have opened a ticket at support. Someone was able to resolve this strange issue?

Sorry for my bad english

1 2 Previous Next