1 2 Previous Next 10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2010 1:25 AM by michael_schneider

MWG 7 CPU 100%

Hi,

I have been using MWG 7 since a month, but sometime suddenly the CPU goes 100%. Is there a way to find out the casue for this?

Rgds,

Dinesh

• 1. Re: MWG 7 CPU 100%
          michael_schneider

Hi Dinesh,

is it going down again or does it stay up?

thanks,

Michael

• 2. Re: MWG 7 CPU 100%

Hi Michael,

Yes it stay there. Once it happened as I turned on the rule tracing, but today not sure what happened, after a reboot it was back to normal.

Rgds,

Dinesh

• 3. Re: MWG 7 CPU 100%
              michael_schneider

Here is my suggestion. When it happens, make sure to capture this situation with a feedback Troubleshooting > Feedback and call into support or open a ticket. They should be able to figure out what happened.

thanks,

Michael

• 4. Re: MWG 7 CPU 100%

Hi Michael,

Indeed, today I tried to click on the "create feedback" but it doesn't seem to generate the file and the click did not respond. If every time we need to bring this issue to McAfee support, I am bit worried if these occurs if the system is put into production. As an end customer is there any way to find out the cause of heavy CPU utilization?

BTW, I have posted a discussion "MWG 7 / Cache / Websites not loading properly", can through some light to it pl?

(Issue: Some images are not displayed, the web site layout is totally distorted, some flash not displayed, etc..)

Rgds,

Dinesh

• 5. Re: MWG 7 CPU 100%
                  michael_schneider

If you want you can as well start the command from shell:

/opt/mwg/bin/feedback.sh -l 2 -nc

-nc is important as this will not hold the current MWG process, but as a downside the debugger won't attch to the process and look for its state in depth. But it's a start. The hang might happen, due to the fact that a process is in 100% and is not respondng to the debugger queries.

best,

Michael

• 6. Re: MWG 7 CPU 100%
                    bperez

since last week we have the cpu at 100% also,  the appliance has been restarted two times, and we need to know if via putty we can run a command like TOP, to figure the process table, and to know what is happening with the processor.

Is the second time, which occurs that.

regards

Bernardo

El mensaje fue editado por: Bernardo Perez on 8/11/10 12:11:51 PM CST
                    • 7. Re: MWG 7 CPU 100%
                      michael_schneider

Hello Bernardo,

if the CPU goes to 100% that can be ok. The CPU is a resource that is available and in case it used up to 100% that is just an indication of utlization of the appliance. The interesting question is, what is the load average on the box? Top displays that as well as uptime:

[root@mwgappl18 ~]# uptime   
                       07:46:45 up 4 days, 21:43,  1 user,  load average: 0.04, 0.04, 0.00

What does it show in this case? Have you created a feedback and sent this to support? They can troubleshoot what happened during this time.

thanks,

Michael

• 8. Re: MWG 7 CPU 100%
                        bperez

Hi Michael,

Since the CPU has a low levels from 3 months ago, i feel something wrong with the cpu levels, attach is the dashboard from the last 2 weeks and 3 months ago, and the cpu shows at 10% aprox. i have a support case number with Mcafee and i have been submited the feedback file.

regards.

BP

• 9. Re: MWG 7 CPU 100%
                          bperez

And the Average Load is:

[root@webgateway ~]# uptime
                          07:46:09 up 4 days, 18:26,  1 user,  load average: 1.73, 1.79, 1.83

Regards

BP

1 2 Previous Next