4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2010 6:50 PM by Dinz

McAfee Total Protection at conflict with Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit updates

I am a professional writer. I had a new computer custom built with the best component hardware available. We installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit operating system. The technicians who built my computer installed Microsoft Security Essentials on the platform as initial protection. It worked great. No problems in any area. All updates and programs run smooth. I have a subscription for 3 computer McAfee Total Protection, therefore, I uninstalled Microsoft Security Essentials and installed one of the subscriptions to McAfee Total Protection. Since that time, I have had to uninstall McAfee Total Protection at least a half dozen times. This is from June until September 2010. It seems that quite often McAfee Total Protection will not allow Windows 7 Ultimate to install automatic updates. The system crashes when the updates attempt to automatically install, usually in the middle of the night when the computer is not in use. This results in several hours just trying to get the computer to restart and restore to the earlier setting. Then I have to uninstall McAfee completely. With it uninstalled, the Windows 7 Ultimate updates install without any issues. Then I have to reinstall McAfee. On several occassions I have seen the system crash because of McAfee conflicting with the operating system, throwing up the "Blue Screen" and shutting down because of "Memeory Dump" errors when McAfee itself updates. Clearly there is something amiss in the relationship of McAfee and Windows 7 Ultimate.

I have Windows 7 Professional 64 bit operating system on my Compaq laptop. I also run McAfee Total Protection on the laptop. It has never had any of these issues. In fact, the computer has had no issues except overheating once, when I had too many programs running at once and the processor shut down the computer because it was too hot. That is it. McAfee Total Protection and Windows 7 Professional get along great on that laptop.

As I said, when I uninstall McAfee Total Protection and install Microsoft Security Essentials on the custom built desktop, it runs great and has no issues. I have run all tests and diagnostics on the computer, RAM, drives, all hardware and software, and all proves clean and operating without error. Full scans for viruses and malware prove negative. Nothing in the area of malware or viruses detected either with McAfee or Microsoft. Windows Live One Care Safety Scan, clearing up registry and file system, works great and leaves the system operating perfectly. However, plug in McAfee Total Protection software and the conflicts in Windows Update and McAfee Update arrise. Not always but frequently enough to be troublesome. It should not happen at all.

Is anyone else encountering similar experiences? Is there perhaps a switch or dll file that needs to be turned on or off? Please let me know. Otherwise I will have to shop around for a better security system that gets along with Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

• 1. Re: McAfee Total Protection at conflict with Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit updates

Could you please let us know the version details of the McAfee programs thats installed in your custom built and Windows 7 Professional computer

• 2. Re: McAfee Total Protection at conflict with Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit updates

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate with automatic updates turned on and updated. McAfee Total Protection is likewise on automatic updates, and should be the latest version. The computer is running a quad-core processor with 4 gigs of RAM. The best and latest one can buy. We uninstall McAfee and the Windows update goes fine. I run all levels of diagnostics and find nothing. I re-install McAfee and the compuer works fine, and will update most of the time, but then for an unknown reason blocks the update. We have to uninstall McAfee and start all over again. Scans with McAfee and Microsoft Security Essentials, full scans, show nothing, no malware or virus. It may have something to do with how Windows tags their updates, and McAfee blocks it. But if that is the case then why does my Compaq laptop, a dual core processor, running Windows 7 Professional, run like a top and never encounters an update problem with McAfee or Windows. Knock on wood that it keeps going as such. This may be one of those great mysteries of life.

• 3. Re: McAfee Total Protection at conflict with Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit updates

One note I might add that will probably be helpful in solving this mystery. When McAfee has blocked Windows from completing its update, leaving the computer sitting in the restart loop, waiting to load the new configuration, McAfee has also totally shut down all networking and Internet access. Even when I get the computer to come back on, basically pushing the reset button and Windows reconfigures to the settings prior to the update, McAfee does not allow any network or Internet access. Everything is blocked until I uninstall McAfee.

• 4. Re: McAfee Total Protection at conflict with Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit updates
                Dinz

Hello ,

Please let us know if we are interested, so that we could arrange a call back to diagnose this issue, If you are interested , please click on my avatar and send me a private message and we will follow up with this .

Regards,
                Dinesh K
                McAfee Online Community Moderator