6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2010 11:24 AM by k3tg

Virus scan freezes at 96%

Hello, this is my first post to this forum, looking forward to a potential solution. i have owned this Mcaffe total protection for 2 years now, and i have only been able to successfully complete a virus can (full one) a couple of times. It always freeses at 95%-96%, and this is becoming very annoying. It says it is scanning files, but the files seem to be in a "loop", like it seems to be rescanning the files it just scanned, and never getting any farther ahead. I paid for a software and i expect it to work better than this. It seems to be freezing at the x86 files, or the HKLM files. Sometimes i can "unfreeze" it by pausing and resuming it, but this is a very rare occurence.

Thanks in advance for the answers.

• 1. Re: Virus scan freezes at 96%
          k3tg

Could you tell us a little information about your computer

What operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7

What brand computer? Dell, Acer, Toshiba

Are you up to date with all windows updates?

Did you previously have any security software installed?

Have you ever used any registry cleaner software?

Have you tried the McAfee Virtual Technician? MVT will scan your computer for any McAfee related issues and if it finds any it will attempt to repair them for you. MVT can be found at the top of this page under Useful Links in the Technical Support link.

• 2. Re: Virus scan freezes at 96%

im using vista 32 bit, service pack 2. the brand of the computer is HP. Yes i am up-to-date with the windows updates. this computer came with some annoying norton stuff, but i have since removed that using a removal tool. No i have not used any register cleaners, as these have gotten some bad rap (scams)  but if u could link me a free one, that u personally use ill try it.

• 3. Re: Virus scan freezes at 96%

I downloaded and scanned the total protection with the virtuual technician, and the results are that "no problems found". this cannot be true because it keeps bugging me about not having a scan within the last month, eventhough i try to scan it and it freezes at 96%...

• 4. Re: Virus scan freezes at 96%
                k3tg

I wonder if you have some malware lurking behind the scenes. Try this free program http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php by installing the free version and checking for the latest updates. run the program and let it clean everything it finds and reboot the computer if prompted.

No I do not recommend any use of registry cleaners, but i was curious if you had uses any of them as they seem to cause more harm than good.

• 5. Re: Virus scan freezes at 96%

Thanks for the reply, but i have had this software malware-bytes for a while now, i had to get rid of some annoying false internet security program. i used a registry key to override the viruses lock on opening up exe programs, aka virus scans, internet, basically anything, and malwarebytes removed it successfully. but ill try another scan and see if anything turns up.

• 6. Re: Virus scan freezes at 96%
                    k3tg

You could also try www.superantispyware.com which is also free and catches a lot of stuff. Download it and check forthe latest updates and run the scan and let it clean everything it finds.

I can't remember if you said you tried to uninstall and reinstall or not but it might be worth trying again. remeber to use the McAfee MCPR removal tool found at the top of this page under Useful Links.

Message was edited by: k3tg on 9/4/10 12:24:13 PM EDT