3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2010 1:29 PM by rmetzger

How can I build a Bootable CD of McAfee Virus Scan Command Line?

willsonlebig

Hi !

Please does anyone know how can I build a Bootable CD of McAfee Virus Scan Command Line?

Thank you in advance !

• 1. Re: How can I build a Bootable CD of McAfee Virus Scan Command Line?
          rmetzger

willsonlebig wrote:

Hi !

Please does anyone know how can I build a Bootable CD of McAfee Virus Scan Command Line?

Thank you in advance !

Hi Wilson,

See: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB67088 "How to create a Windows XP boot CD including McAfee Command Line Scanner"

You will need to download the Command Line Scanner v6.03.

Let us know if this is helpful.

Ron Metzger

• 2. Re: How can I build a Bootable CD of McAfee Virus Scan Command Line?
            willsonlebig

Thank you for your answer.

In fact I have already tested this KB607088.

From my point of view there is a performance issue. It is very slow when charging the differents utilities.

So I am looking for another methods to create a Bootable CD of McAfee Virus Scan Command Line.

Please do you know another methods?

• 3. Re: How can I build a Bootable CD of McAfee Virus Scan Command Line?
              rmetzger

willsonlebig wrote:

Thank you for your answer.

In fact I have already tested this KB607088.

From my point of view there is a performance issue. It is very slow when charging the differents utilities.

So I am looking for another methods to create a Bootable CD of McAfee Virus Scan Command Line.

Please do you know another methods?

Hi willsonlebig,

I'm not sure what you mean by 'charging the differents utilities' or to what utilities you are referring.

So, let me surmise several cases. Please choose the one that fits, and reply back with what you meant and for additional help.

1. Making a bootable CD is always an art form, from what I have experienced. Making one that is bootable on many systems is a daunting task. Microsoft has much documentation on creating just such disks using WinPE (and Windows 7) as there preferred means. Performance Tuning of disks for the different machines that it is intended can be difficult to say the least.
              2. Performance tuning utilities on bootable CDs is also something that requires much thought and experience. Reading the documentation on the utilities in question, often helps, by understanding their needs. For instance, how much available RAM is needed; Disk Space requirements; Temporary file space; Security and Access requirements; and Remote Registry access needed to accomplish the job. When making a disk, each utility used will have it's own requirements. Together you may find that the requirements of all the utilities in mind may exceed the available resources of a given machine. So, you must decide and prioritize what you 'need' from what 'want.'
              3. Alternatively, you can get pre-built boot CDs in the open market, with much of what you are asking for already configured. Again, based on whatever the creator of the disk felt was important and what was not.
              4. Here at the McAfee forums is a person who has made just such a boot disk: https://mcafee-ext.hosted.jivesoftware.com/people/secured2k       who has created this: https://mcafee-ext.hosted.jivesoftware.com/thread/6923 boot disk which can be adapted to many solutions. Based on WinPE using Windows 7, the hardware requirements may stop it from running on limited resource systems.

Making a boot CD that performs well on systems with 4 GB of RAM will probably fail on those with on 1 GB of RAM. But, making a disk that works with only 1 GB of RAM may not perform well on those with more RAM. It's a balancing act.

Now, Mark's (Secured2k) boot disk happens to have an out of date version of VirusScan Command Line Scanner which is no longer available. However, the new one, v6.03 is something that can still be manually run by using the same techniques Mark is using. Perhaps reading Mark's blog on the subject as well as the documentation to v6.03 will help further your knowledge on the subject better than I can.

So, which problem(s) are you having?

Thanks,

Ron Metzger

Message was edited by: rmetzger (mangled link) on 9/1/10 2:26:57 PM EDT

Message was edited by: rmetzger (still mangled link) on 9/1/10 2:29:25 PM EDT