4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2010 1:25 AM by Salvius

False positive - Freenet

McAfee is incorrectly identifying two executables for Freenet (http://freenetproject.org/) as trojans:

freenetlauncher.exe - Artemis!82C33D97FD3C

freenettray.exe - Artemis!D15711371E33

I realize Freenet is kind of funky, but I'm pretty sure it's not actually a trojan. I used "Send to McAfee" from the quarantine list. Is there anything else I need to do?

• 1. Re: False positive - Freenet

Please let us know the version details of the McAfee programs that you have in your computer

• 2. Re: False positive - Freenet

Sorry, should have thought of that...

From the About screen (and, hey, shouldn't I be able to copy & paste info from that window?):

McAfee SecurityCenter

Version 10.5

Build 10.5.195

AffId 572-41

McAfee VirusScan

Version 14.5

Build 14.5.113

DAT Version 6089

Engine Version 5400.1158

McAfee Personal Firewall

Version 11.5

Build 11.5.135

McAfee SiteAdvisor

Version 3.1

Build 3.1.0.175

AffId 572

That enough to identify what I've got?

• 3. Re: False positive - Freenet
              Dinz

Hi Salvius,

McAfee Artemis Technology is an added protection that secures your computer from threats as they strike by allowing your McAfee security software to check with McAfee servers in real-time to identify new threats and take appropriate action to protect your computer.

As in your case;  they require no effort on your part as we have automatically added this additional protection for our customers. In the future, you may see that a suspicious file has been quarantined or blocked. You can identify this as being an Artemis detection by its name, which will begin with the word Artemis.

Regards,
              Dinesh K
              McAfee Online Community Moderator

Message was edited by: Aldrin on 1/9/10 4:25:17 AM IST
              • 4. Re: False positive - Freenet

Right, I gathered that. My point was that, in the specific instance of these two files, Artemis is quarantining them, but I don't want them quarantined. I know what these files do, and I am confident that they are not actually a threat. The source code is publicly available, and the project is supported by people I respect. That's why my subject line referred to it as a "false positive".