Are you running the Enterprise version of McAfee? If so you should be posting over there in the business community. If this is for the Home Products then I do not believe it is legitimate and would recommend you to refrain from proceeding any further.
If you are a Security As a Service customer, or your provider of AV software is then this is a valid instruction and references some valid hotfixes for current issues.
You could be using this as part of a small or medium business or as a home user with a server that uses SAS.
NB.... NEVER RUN ATTACHMENTS OFF EMAILS LIKE THIS ALWAYS GO BACK TO THE SOURCE (IN THIS CASE MCAFEES KNOWLEDGEBASE) TO DOWNLOAD STUFF AND CHECK THE SITES FOR PHISHING FIRST ASWELL.
and with MOD head on ........moving this to the board that deals with this product
Message was edited by: tonyb99 on 28/08/10 21:40:55 IST
I have read your request.
McAfee released a patch recently, 006 that corrupted the automatic updates feature in the product,
An knowledge base article has been created and the link was sent to all the Customer. This email explains the cause and the knowledge base link for that article that was created.
If for any customer the knowledge bas does not work, then please follow the below steps to completely uninstall and reinstall the McAfee software as this would fix the issue.
1. Open the page www.mcafeeasap.com, click on login on the top right and sign in with your login details
2. Click on the tab utilities on the top and select the 4th option Uninstall components left from a previous installation in that select MVSUninst and download and save it to the desktop and run this exe to uninstall.
3. Delete all the entries from start->Run->temp and then select all the files and folder under that and delete. (Ignore the files that you are not able to delete)
4. Delete all the entries from start->Run->%temp% and then select all the files and folder under that and delete. (Ignore the files that you are not able to delete)
5. Go to start->Run->regedit and the registry window will open in that click on file->export and save it to the desktop.
6. Then you will see HKEY-LOCALMACHINE ->software->delete McAfee
7. Then you will see HKEY-CURRENT USER ->software->delete McAfee
8. Reboot the computer.
After you have done all the above steps, please proceed with the below steps for the installation.
1. Log in to the online security center
2. Click on computers on the top and then select all
3. Select the computer in which you are about to reinstall and delete it from the list
4. Select Dashboard tab on the top
5. Click on install protection
6. Select install protection onto new computers (not yet managed by SecurityCenter)
7. Download and save the Topsbdm file to your desktop
8. Run the file to install the product.
9. After you have installed, restart the computer and run a manual update.