1 2 Previous Next 13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2010 4:35 AM by Peter M Branched from an earlier discussion.

UNABLE TO ACTIVATE!!

Unable to activate Internet Security 2010 software! and the tech support is horrible! Why isn't anybody from McAfee able to address this in this forum!?? unbelievable!

Moved from an old thread to your own thread for better attention - Mod

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 28/08/10 7:43:37 EDT PM
        • 1. Re: UNABLE TO ACTIVATE!!
          Peter M

Whether or not you use Internet Explorer and assuming you have IE8 installed.

In IE8 go to Tools/Internet Options/Advanced and click the Reset button.  Then click Apply and OK and  approve any prompts you get.   Close and reopen IE8.

Go to Tools/Manage Add-ons and re-enable all the add-ons.

Try activating again.

Failing that try Technical Support online Chat linked under Useful Links above (or the link below) and be patient with them.  They have to ask a lot of seemingly boring questions to get a picture of your system before doing anything..

If you just purchased the product retail there is 30 days of free phone support also available.

Click this link: http://service.mcafee.com/TechSupportHome.aspx?lc=1033&sg=TS

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 28/08/10 8:19:22 EDT PM
          • 2. Re: UNABLE TO ACTIVATE!!

I use Mozilla Firefox. Is IE8 required to activate the software? If so it doesn't have that on the box, and why would the browser matter when it doesn't even come up when you activate. I have tried phone tech support and the wait was about 15 minutes and an Indian? guy answered with a very thick accent, so most of the time I could not understand him, plus he was not very knowledgable. He kept having to put me on hold to find out (from someone else) what to try next. They were of no help. I just wish there were a definiteive solution to this major flaw in your software. Look how many people on here are having installation and avtivation problems! It was never an issue with the 2009 software.

• 3. Re: UNABLE TO ACTIVATE!!
              Peter M

Mozilla Firefox is fine as a browser goes, but as Internet Explorer is a part of Windows it is essential that it be kept up to date, i.e. it should be IE8 and as McAfee relies on it, regardless of what your default browser may be, try doing what I just suggested.

• 4. Re: UNABLE TO ACTIVATE!!

Online chat support is useless as well, 30 minutes and no connection, and I do not plan to talk to someone whose accent is so thick I cannot understand them. I have IE7, will upgrade, try what you have suggested and see what happens.

• 5. Re: UNABLE TO ACTIVATE!!
                  Peter M

Online Chat is like a messenger service, you don't actually talk with anyone.  The good thing about it is that the issue can be escalated higher if necessary.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 30/08/10 9:07:31 EDT PM
                  • 6. Re: UNABLE TO ACTIVATE!!

upgraded to IE8, did what you had written, still no luck.

I don't want to have to reinstall again because that alone failed many times, took me forever to make that work after uninstallaing and using all the McAfee tools to remove all the traces.

• 7. Re: UNABLE TO ACTIVATE!!

I

think I need to be escalated immediately, I've had problems for a week, wasted hours of my time, wasted an hour on the phone with someone who I could hardly understand and had no idea how to resolve the issue, and now, not connection to online chat, no resoltion here. I've read that someone knowledgable can remotely take over your computer and fix this problem, seems that is the only way people have been able to work out this issue!

It's really a pity that the software is so bad now, what happened? I loved prior versions!

• 8. Re: UNABLE TO ACTIVATE!!

I think the problem is with McAfee, not users, and your activation server is very buggy, or overloaded. If someone cannot help soon I will have to return the software, which is wasting my time yet again, plus I will lose money because I bought it online.

• 9. Re: UNABLE TO ACTIVATE!!
                          Peter M

Then please give Chat a try. As I said it's like an instant messenger client...you aren't actually speaking.

They will obvously have to ask some pretty mundane questions to start with but they usually get this issue fixed straight away.

It's very odd that you are having the problem after having done what I suggested and especially odd if you can't connect to the Chat client.

http://service.mcafee.com/TechSupportHome.aspx?lc=1033&sg=TS

Open 24/7

1 2 Previous Next