3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2010 6:13 PM by rengaraj

TPS deployment

Hi all.  I'm trying to rationalize TPS deployment at my site. We're currently running the latest "vssetup.exe" as part of our standard deployment stack, but every new computer still downloads tens of megabytes on the first update.  Current vssetup.exe (http://akamai-vs.mcafeeasap.com/MC/VS50/data/vssetup.exe) dates back from 24/7/2010, file size is 103 MB. A new computer I've just setup still downloaded 47 MB (according to my Internet gateway) from akamai-vs.mcafee.com.  These large downloads are a real issue. That's more load on our Internet connection when we need it (while vssetup.exe download is scheduled on night hours). And it adds even more time to our already lengthy computer deployment process.  Is there a more up-to-date vssetup.exe kept elsewhere on mcafee.com? What can we do to avoid this long and heavy-weight initial update?  Thanks.

• 1. Re: TPS deployment
          rengaraj

Hi,

I have read your post.

Please be informed that a vssetup.exe file however new you have downloaded will have only till the patch 004 updates in the file. Once you have installed the file and run the first manual update it will download the updates for the McAfee patch 005 and the patch 006 which will surely be around 47MB to 50 MB.

That is the reason you see the vssetup.exe download such huge updates on the first manual update.

Thank you.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: TPS deployment

Hi Rengaraj.

Is there a page where can I find a standalone installer for the latest current patch then?

Such a large download on every new computer is really not an enterprise-friendly solution!

As a reference, 50 MB is one third of the volume of updates we get for the whole Microsoft suite (Windows XP + Office 2003 = 150 MB), and this comes from a local WSUS server.

Thanks,

Nicolas.

• 3. Re: TPS deployment
              rengaraj

Hi,

I have read your post.

We are really sorry to inform you that there is no option or page having the standalone installer for the latest current patch.

This has to be downloaded only when the first update runs after the installation of the McAfee software using the vssetup.exe file.

Thank you.