7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2010 12:42 AM by Attila Polinger

Failure in Renamefile operation during ePO 40 to 4.5 upgrade

Attila Polinger

Hi all,

we wanted to upgrade our production ePO 4.0 Patch 6 system to ePO 4.5 Patch 3 and ran into this problem during the upgrade. The issue is that a failure occurs when the installer tries to back up the old ePO install dir (or parts of it).

The exact error message is this:

Setup has encountered the error: FAILURE: In RenameFile with error code [-1] while moving the folder as follows:

Task: For more information, search for the error in the EPO450-Install-MSI.LOG file, located in the logged-on user’s Temp directory. (Note: Close Setup before searching this log file to ensure all data is written to it.) Depending on the error, more information may be available in the log files listed below. In the logged-on user’s Temp directory: EPO450-CommonSetup.log EPO450-Troubleshoot\MFS\*.* EPO450-Troubleshoot\Mercury Framework\*.* EPO450-Troubleshoot\TomcatLogs\*.log EPO450-Troubleshoot\Apache2Logs\errorlog.* EPO450-Troubleshoot\DBLogs\*.log These log files are needed by Technical Support when troubleshooting installation issues.

We have found a KB article for an earlier ePO version with a very similar issue (KB60065). According to this, we searched for and renamed existing .BAK files under ePO installation directory. However a re-attempted installation failed again with the same error. There are not any more .BAk files under ePO installation directory, only a McScript.bak, under the MA directory which cannot be renamed as its being used likely by MA process(es).

I attach some logs as referenced above. I thank in advance any useful troubleshooting piece of advice.

Attila

• 1. Re: Failure in Renamefile operation during ePO 40 to 4.5 upgrade
          Sailendra Pamidi

Hi,

Try renaming the Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Backup of ePolicy Orchestrator folder to something else - for e.g. epobackup. Then try the setup again -

Hope that helps,
          Sailendra

• 2. Re: Failure in Renamefile operation during ePO 40 to 4.5 upgrade
            Attila Polinger

Hi Saliendra,

unfortunately, there is not any such folder  (or like) to rename.

I attempted to run the installation again while a file monitor was running and set to include the following processes therein:

setup.exe;epomain.exe;apache.exe;tomcat*.exe

I must have missed a further process, because the initial instal error recurred, but the FileMon capture contained no relevant entries around the time the error was registered to have occurred in .MSI log.

Particularly, there have been a great deal of SUCCESS file operatons to the install log file at the time of the install error and I mean 5-10 seconds around it. If any file error ocurred that was way out of scope in the filemon capture anyway, did not match timestamp of the error.

Attila

• 3. Re: Failure in Renamefile operation during ePO 40 to 4.5 upgrade
              Attila Polinger

I've added the msiexec.exe process to monitor and have had inconclusive results (and I also switched to ePO 4.5 original install set, assuming this would be a difference, but it wasn't, it exhibits the same issue):

On one occassion I managed to produce a nice ACCESS DENIED file result - see log excerpt below -  on the ePO main install folder (C:\Program files\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator), but no further occassion did this entry for this folder appear (meaning no such entry at all, not just an entry with SUCCESS or other result).

205767 12:19:25 PM msiexec.exe:3988 FASTIO_WRITE C:\WINDOWS\Installer\MSI342.tmp FAILURE Offset: 2470400 Length: 512
              205769 12:19:25 PM msiexec.exe:3988 FASTIO_CHECK_IF_POSSIBLE C:\WINDOWS\Installer\MSI342.tmp FAILURE Write: Offset: 2470912 Length: 512
              205770 12:19:25 PM msiexec.exe:3988 FASTIO_WRITE C:\WINDOWS\Installer\MSI342.tmp FAILURE Offset: 2470912 Length: 512
              205772 12:19:25 PM msiexec.exe:3988 FASTIO_CHECK_IF_POSSIBLE C:\WINDOWS\Installer\MSI342.tmp FAILURE Write: Offset: 2471424 Length: 512
              232666 12:19:29 PM msiexec.exe:2544 IRP_MJ_SET_INFORMATION  C:\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator ACCESS DENIED FileRenameInformation

Can we set the MSI installer to log milliseconds as well? Because as last resort I ran the installer while FileMon was set to include all processes - highlighitng msiexec.exe - but it produces a hell of a lot output for the offending timestamp all from msiexec.exe and I'm overflooded...

Attila

• 4. Re: Failure in Renamefile operation during ePO 40 to 4.5 upgrade

Attila,

Did you find the problem with this, we have a customer who has the same problem of upgrading an ePO 4.0 P6 server to ePO 4.5 P3 server, it is failing when msiexec is trying to rename the ePolicy Orchestrator folder to back up of ePolicy Orchestrator.

Regards

Andy

• 5. Re: Failure in Renamefile operation during ePO 40 to 4.5 upgrade
                  Attila Polinger

Andy,

actually yes, but mine was a specific issue that is not likely to be the same as that of your customer. Using Sysinternals File Monitor 2.92 I was later on able to permanently reproduce the ACCESS DENIED error (2-3 times I ran the installer) on the folder backup, and even opened a service call to mcAfee and during that call a flash of thought struck me why is this all happening.

We have several ePO systems one of which is firewall separated from the outer world and thus it takes repository source data from this system in question. I had built a custom mirroring mechanism that mirrored the master repository of our ePO system, and the service of this mirroring mechanism was not stopped, obviously preventing the proper access to files for the installer.

Once we stopped this service we could run the installer flawlessly.

I advise you also use File Monitor and perhaps Process Monitor, too to see which files could be open by someting else.

Regards:

Attila

PS: I wanted to avoid answering my own question as this is rather specific cause, but now I must that you have asked for the solution..

Message was edited by: Attila Polinger on 9/2/10 7:32:47 AM CEST
                  • 6. Re: Failure in Renamefile operation during ePO 40 to 4.5 upgrade

Hi Attila,

I have been struggling the last weeks with this issue as wel... very frustrating, believe me. You may want to look here https://community.mcafee.com/thread/22918 there are also other guys who reported the same issue.

In my case the core-upgrade provides a lot of useful information: some extensions where missing on the server resulting in a mismatch with the information contained in the OrionExtensions table. I have managed to reinstalled the missing extensions and I could restarted the installation which went fine until the last step: backup of the exiting ePO installation folder which failed with the following error "Setup was unable to backup the existing epolicy orchestrator folder C:\Program Files\McAfee\Backup of ePolicy Orchestrator". The only way to move forward is to click "cancel" on the dialog box. It  took a while and the installation prcess displayed this error:

Error: -1603 fata error during installation.

Consult Windows installer (Msi.chm) or MSDN for more information.

What is really funny in the whole story is that the core-upgrade.log file reported a successful installation of the ePO 4.5P3 (see log content below). I have checked the service manager this during the installation: the 3 ePO 4.5 services where all installed and started. I start to think that other processes interferencing with the msi process. I will follow your advise using a file monitoring at the next attempt... because I have to rebuild once again the ePO 4.0 server to the state it was before the upgrade process.

The core-upgrade.log file reported a successful installation. See below the logfile content.

******************************************************************************** ***********

[echo] catalina.home is C:/PROGRA~1/McAfee/EPOLIC~1/server

backup-config:
                         [echo] backing up tomcat configuration files
                        [mkdir] Created dir: C:\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Installer\core\bak\config
                         [copy] Copying 91 files to C:\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Installer\core\bak\config

install-jce-policy:
                         [echo] backing up old JCE policy files to C:\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Installer\core/jce/bak
                        [mkdir] Created dir: C:\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Installer\core\jce\bak
                         [copy] Copying 7 files to C:\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Installer\core\jce\bak
                          [copy] Copying C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\EPOLIC~1\JRE\lib\security\cacerts to  C:\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy  Orchestrator\Installer\core\jce\bak\cacerts
                         [copy] Copying  C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\EPOLIC~1\JRE\lib\security\blacklist to C:\Program  Files\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Installer\core\jce\bak\blacklist
                          [copy] Copying  C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\EPOLIC~1\JRE\lib\security\javaws.policy to C:\Program  Files\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Installer\core\jce\bak\javaws.policy
                          [copy] Copying  C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\EPOLIC~1\JRE\lib\security\local_policy.jar to  C:\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy  Orchestrator\Installer\core\jce\bak\local_policy.jar
                         [copy]  Copying C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\EPOLIC~1\JRE\lib\security\java.policy to  C:\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy  Orchestrator\Installer\core\jce\bak\java.policy
                         [copy] Copying  C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\EPOLIC~1\JRE\lib\security\US_export_policy.jar to  C:\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy  Orchestrator\Installer\core\jce\bak\US_export_policy.jar
                         [copy]  Copying C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\EPOLIC~1\JRE\lib\security\java.security to  C:\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy  Orchestrator\Installer\core\jce\bak\java.security
                         [echo] copying JCE policy files to C:/PROGRA~1/McAfee/EPOLIC~1/JRE/lib/security
                         [copy] Copying 12 files to C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\EPOLIC~1\JRE\lib\security
                          [copy] Copying C:\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy  Orchestrator\Installer\core\jce\bak\javaws.policy to  C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\EPOLIC~1\JRE\lib\security\bak\javaws.policy
                          [copy] Copying C:\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy  Orchestrator\Installer\core\jce\bak\blacklist to  C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\EPOLIC~1\JRE\lib\security\bak\blacklist
                          [copy] Copying C:\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy  Orchestrator\Installer\core\jce\US_export_policy.jar to  C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\EPOLIC~1\JRE\lib\security\US_export_policy.jar
                          [copy] Copying C:\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy  Orchestrator\Installer\core\jce\README.txt to  C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\EPOLIC~1\JRE\lib\security\README.txt
                         [copy]  Copying C:\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy  Orchestrator\Installer\core\jce\bak\java.security to  C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\EPOLIC~1\JRE\lib\security\bak\java.security
                          [copy] Copying C:\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy  Orchestrator\Installer\core\jce\bak\cacerts to  C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\EPOLIC~1\JRE\lib\security\bak\cacerts
                         [copy]  Copying C:\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy  Orchestrator\Installer\core\jce\versions.txt to  C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\EPOLIC~1\JRE\lib\security\versions.txt
                         [copy]  Copying C:\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy  Orchestrator\Installer\core\jce\COPYRIGHT.html to  C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\EPOLIC~1\JRE\lib\security\COPYRIGHT.html
                          [copy] Copying C:\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy  Orchestrator\Installer\core\jce\local_policy.jar to  C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\EPOLIC~1\JRE\lib\security\local_policy.jar
                          [copy] Copying C:\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy  Orchestrator\Installer\core\jce\bak\local_policy.jar to  C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\EPOLIC~1\JRE\lib\security\bak\local_policy.jar
                          [copy] Copying C:\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy  Orchestrator\Installer\core\jce\bak\US_export_policy.jar to  C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\EPOLIC~1\JRE\lib\security\bak\US_export_policy.jar
                          [copy] Copying C:\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy  Orchestrator\Installer\core\jce\bak\java.policy to  C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\EPOLIC~1\JRE\lib\security\bak\java.policy

upgrade-server-xml:
                          [xslt] Processing C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\EPOLIC~1\server\conf\server.xml to  C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\EPOLIC~1\server\conf\server-modified.xml
                         [xslt] Loading stylesheet C:\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Installer\core\scripts\upgrade-server.xsl
                          [xslt]  C:/Program%20Files/McAfee/ePolicy%20Orchestrator/Installer/core/scripts/upgrade -server.xsl:3:  Warning! Running an XSLT 1.0 stylesheet with an XSLT 2.0 processor
                         [move] Moving 1 file to C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\EPOLIC~1\server\conf

upgrade-keystore:

db-upgrade:
                         [echo] updating core's database tables
                      [run-sql] log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (com.mcafee.orion.core.db.base.Database).
                      [run-sql] log4j:WARN Please initialize the log4j system properly.
                      [run-sql] 38: ----------------------------------------------------------
                      [run-sql] -- Updates...
                      [run-sql] 0: IF NOT EXISTS(SELECT * FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS WHERE TABLE_NAM...
                      [run-sql] 1: IF EXISTS (SELECT * FROM dbo.sysobjects WHERE id = OBJECT_ID(N'[dbo].[...
                      [run-sql] 1: -------------------------------------------------------
                      [run-sql] -- Update the...
                      [run-sql] 0: IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT * FROM dbo.sysobjects WHERE id = OBJECT_ID(N'[db...
                      [run-sql] 0: --------------------------------------------------------
                      [run-sql] -- OrionDash...
                      [run-sql] 0: --------------------------------------------------------
                      [run-sql] -- OrionQuer...
                      [run-sql] 354: --------------------------------------------------------
                      [run-sql] -- OrionQuer...
                      [run-sql] 0: IF EXISTS(SELECT * FROM dbo.sysobjects WHERE id= OBJECT_ID(N'[dbo].[Or...
                      [run-sql] 1: IF EXISTS(SELECT * FROM [dbo].[OrionQuery] WHERE [GroupId] IS NULL)
                      [run-sql] B...
                      [run-sql] 0: -- add the query group membership table and foreign keys
                      [run-sql] IF NOT EXIST...
                      [run-sql] 0: IF NOT EXISTS( select * FROM dbo.sysindexes WHERE name = N'IX_OrionQue...
                      [run-sql] 0: IF NOT EXISTS( select * FROM dbo.sysindexes WHERE name = N'IX_OrionQue...
                      [run-sql] 0: ----------------------------------------------------------
                      [run-sql] -- OrionQu...
                      [run-sql] 0: -- when the owning user is deleted, we also delete his groups
                      [run-sql] IF NOT ...
                      [run-sql] 0: -- when a group is deleted, we also delete all the contained queries
                      [run-sql] ...
                      [run-sql] 0: -- only one QueryGroup with a given name per user (or public)
                      [run-sql] IF NOT ...
                      [run-sql] 0: -- GroupId is not optional
                      [run-sql] ALTER TABLE [dbo].[OrionQuery] ALTER COLUM...
                      [run-sql] 0: -- only one Query with a given name per group
                      [run-sql] IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT *...
                      [run-sql] 0: -- making the description field larger
                      [run-sql] ALTER TABLE [dbo].[OrionQuery]...
                      [run-sql] 0: ----------------------------------------------------------------------...
                      [run-sql] 0: CREATE TABLE dbo.Tmp_OrionServerProperties
                      [run-sql]  (
                      [run-sql]  Id int NOT NULL IDENT...
                      [run-sql] 0: SET IDENTITY_INSERT dbo.Tmp_OrionServerProperties ON...
                      [run-sql] 2: IF EXISTS(SELECT * FROM dbo.OrionServerProperties)
                      [run-sql]   EXEC('INSERT INT...
                      [run-sql] 0: SET IDENTITY_INSERT dbo.Tmp_OrionServerProperties OFF...
                      [run-sql] 0: DROP TABLE dbo.OrionServerProperties...
                      [run-sql] 0: EXECUTE sp_rename N'dbo.Tmp_OrionServerProperties', N'OrionServerPrope...
                      [run-sql] WARN: Caution: Changing any part of an object name could break scripts and stored procedures.
                      [run-sql] 0: ALTER TABLE dbo.OrionServerProperties ADD CONSTRAINT
                      [run-sql]  UQ__OrionServer...
                      [run-sql] 0: IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT 1 FROM dbo.syscolumns WHERE id = OBJECT_ID(N'[db...
                      [run-sql] 1: COMMIT

[run-sql] --------------------------------------------------------...
                      [run-sql] 0: ----------------------------------------------------------------------...
                         [echo] updating stored procedures
                      [run-sql] 0: create procedure [dbo].[SP_Core_Audit](
                      [run-sql]     @userId int,
                      [run-sql]     @userNa...
                      [run-sql] 0: CREATE TRIGGER [dbo].[TR_OrionQueryGroups_UniqueKey] ON [dbo].[OrionQu...
                      [run-sql] 0: CREATE TRIGGER [dbo].[TR_OrionQuery_UniqueKey] ON [dbo].[OrionQuery]
                      [run-sql] ...

upgrade-orion-properties:
                    [propertyfile] Updating property file: C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\EPOLIC~1\server\conf\orion\orion.properties

upgrade-extensions:
                    extension console was migrated to version 2.0.2
                    extension help was migrated to version 2.0.1
                    extension rs was migrated to version 2.0.1
                    extension scheduler was migrated to version 2.0.3
                    extension response was migrated to version 2.0.2
                    extension ldap was migrated to version 2.0.2
                    extension Issue was migrated to version 2.0.2
                    update current extension EPOAGENTMETA category to 'McAfee Agent'
                    update current extension VIRUSCANREPORTS category to 'VirusScan Enterprise'
                    update current extension EPOCore category to 'ePolicy Orchestrator'
                    update current extension PolicyMgmt category to 'ePolicy Orchestrator'
                    update current extension ComputerMgmt category to 'ePolicy Orchestrator'
                    update current extension AvertAlerts category to 'ePolicy Orchestrator'
                    update current extension VIRUSCAN8700 category to 'VirusScan Enterprise'
                    update current extension SUPPCLNT1000 category to 'MER'
                    update current extension EPOAGENT3000LYNX category to 'McAfee Agent'
                    update current extension EPOAGENT3000MACX category to 'McAfee Agent'
                    update current extension GROUPSHD6000 category to 'GroupShield for Exchange'
                    update current extension GSD7REPORTS category to 'GroupShield for Lotus Domino'
                    update current extension GSE6REPORTS category to 'GroupShield for Exchange'
                    update current extension LYNXSHLD1300 category to 'LinuxShield'
                    update current extension LYNXSHLD1400 category to 'LinuxShield'
                    update current extension LYNXSHLD1500 category to 'LinuxShield'
                    update current extension LYNXSHLDPARSER category to 'LinuxShield'
                    update current extension NSHLDNW_4600 category to 'NetShield'
                    update current extension VIRUSCAN8000 category to 'VirusScan Enterprise'
                    update current extension SITEADV_1500 category to 'SiteAdvisor Enterprise'
                    update current extension SKE2REPORTS category to 'SpamKiller'
                    update current extension SMDWIN__7000 category to 'GroupShield for Lotus Domino'
                    update current extension SPAMKILR2100 category to 'SpamKiller'
                    update current extension VIREXREPORTS category to 'VirusScan for Mac'
                    update current extension VIREXUB_8500 category to 'VirusScan for Mac'
                    update current extension VIREX___7700 category to 'VirusScan for Mac'
                    update current extension VIRUSCAN8600 category to 'VirusScan Enterprise'
                    update current extension ePO_Help category to 'ePolicy Orchestrator'
                    update current extension HOSTIPS_META category to 'Host IPS'
                    update current extension RepositoryMgmt category to 'ePolicy Orchestrator'
                    update current extension Notifications category to 'ePolicy Orchestrator'
                    update current extension CommonEvents category to 'ePolicy Orchestrator'

upgrade:

BUILD SUCCESSFUL
                    Total time: 37 seconds

• 7. Re: Failure in Renamefile operation during ePO 40 to 4.5 upgrade
                      Attila Polinger

Hello,

Please consult the installation .MSI log file as in my case the direct error message was there (i.e. out of which the rename file operation has failed). Feel free to post it here (along with the setup log) if you need assistance (no guarantee, however that I'll be more lucky than you in finding it).

Attila