1 2 Previous Next 14 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2010 2:26 AM by Attila Polinger

Product deployment issue in 4.5

Ja7

Hi, as a complete novice with using ePO, please be patient and delicate with me! I'm having an issue with product deployment to new systems. Is it a problem with how I deploy the agent? My method of deploying the agent and AV to workstations and servers is as follows:

System Tree

System Tree Actions

New Systems

*Add in new system*

Agent appears within minutes on new system.

Client Tasks

(I have a task called VS which should deploy VirusScan Enterprise 8.5.0.781 and AntiSpyware Enterprise Module 8.5.0.163)

Edit settings

Schedule

*Change the time it runs to around ‘once at’ 2 hours from now e.g. 12:00pm* (should I be able to change this to a sooner time?)

Then I wait and sometimes the software is deployed successfully and other times not.

My 2 questions are – why does it not deploy the software every single time? Is there any other way of deploying the software in the same way that the agent has been installed?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Product deployment issue in 4.5
          JoeBidgood

Hi...

What you're doing sounds fine: however I would receommend running the deployment task on a repeating basis, rather than using the "once" option. The reason is that the "once" option refers to the task, not the installation - so if the task runs once and fails for any reason, it's not going to try again.

Other than that I think you'll be fine

Regards -

Joe

• 2. Re: Product deployment issue in 4.5
            Ja7

So simple and in terms that I understand. Many thanks.

Is it a related issue that I have a non-compliant PC? (which isn't a new system but from the PC itself it declares that it has the latest software). Is it a case of uninstalling and re-installing the agent or something more complex?

• 3. Re: Product deployment issue in 4.5
              JoeBidgood

In the first instance I'd investigate why ePO thinks it's non-compliant. Are we talking about the standard "compliant / non-compliant" display on the default dashboard?

Thanks -

Joe

• 4. Re: Product deployment issue in 4.5
                Ja7

That's correct. On the dashboard, it displays 98 compliant, 2 non-compliant. One of which is a new server which hasn't got the products on but has the agent (which was my initial query) and one is a workstation which states it has all of the products installed - both on ePO and the PC itself. Am I misunderstanding non-compliance?

• 5. Re: Product deployment issue in 4.5
                  JoeBidgood

That sounds right. The default compliance query is defined as "has agent version greater than or equal to 3.6, has virusscan version greater than or equal to 8.5, and has a dat version no more than three versions of the version in the master repository."

So a machine without VSE installed will definitely be flagged as non-compliant, which explains the server. With the workstation, drill down into the properties it's reporting and see how they stack up against the criteria described above - one of them should be wrong.

HTH -

Joe

• 6. Re: Product deployment issue in 4.5
                    Ja7

The Server is a Windows Server 2008 which is different to our other servers but this shouldn't have any bearing on whether the software is installed, should it?

The workstation has: 'Installed Products:                                                   McAfee Agent 4.0.0.1494, Product Coverage Reports 4.0.0.1494, VirusScan Enterprise 8.5.0.781.Wrk, AntiSpyware 8.5.0.16'

How do I check that it 'has a dat version no more than three versions of the version in the master repository'?

Thanks again.

• 7. Re: Product deployment issue in 4.5
                      JoeBidgood

If you scroll that window down a bit you should see a section for VSE, where it should list the DAT version and engine version... what does it say there?

Thanks -

Joe

• 8. Re: Product deployment issue in 4.5
                        Ja7

Aha! Both N/A. How would I go about rectifying this?

Thanks Joe.

• 9. Re: Product deployment issue in 4.5
                          JoeBidgood

That'll do it

In the first instance, try sending an agent wakeup call to the machine, and make sure that you have "send full properties" selected. This frequently sorts it.

Regards -

Joe

1 2 Previous Next