7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2010 9:20 AM by Peter M

How do I return to version 9

I was just autoupdated to the new version and I'd much prefer to stay with the old version.  Is there any way to go back?  I hate the new interface and the loss of several features.

Thanks

• 1. Re: How do I return to version 9
          Peter M

Unfortunately not.  What features are missing?

• 2. Re: How do I return to version 9

Password vault, Global Map tracking log, shredder - user defined multiple pass shredding and others.  My subscription is up in Dec. and if this is what it's going to be then I'll be looking for another solution.

Thanks

• 3. Re: How do I return to version 9
              Peter M

destanley wrote:

Password vault, Global Map tracking log, shredder - user defined multiple pass shredding and others.  My subscription is up in Dec. and if this is what it's going to be then I'll be looking for another solution.

Thanks

Password Vault is no longer included in the 2010 version as part of Parental Controls and has been moved to a separately available application caled McAfee Anti-Theft.  If you had passwords or other information stored in the Password Vault,  and did not make a note of them before your upgrade, you can retrieve  them using the Password Retrieval Tool, see THIS FAQ.  (From the Technical Support link in Useful Links above).

To find Shredder, Defragmenter and Quickclean open SecurityCenter and click PC Optimization to expand it and you will be able to configure it there by clicking Quickclean.   A module will open to the right of SecurityCenter where you can configure things.   These tools are lighter versions of what was originally included so are not quite as flexible.

In some case those tools don't always install when the upgrade first occurs in which case they will install as an update shortly or right-click the taskbar icon and run 'Check for Updates'.

The visual map element and tracer tool has gone.  We have suggested already that they were very useful and should be reintroduced.  Hopefully they may return in the 2011 products going into beta testing later this year, but I cannot guarantee it.

Sorry but there isn't too much else that I can do for you on these issues.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 26/08/10 2:32:37 EDT AM
              • 4. Re: How do I return to version 9

I just had my security center updated and I hate it.  Less information, you have to go download tools that were automatically included in version 9. My biggest gripe - I loved the Quick clean and shredder on the previous version. The new one give little specific information and didn't let you know how to use it when you do download it. I think the directions on the Mcafee are lagging behind the updates too. The directions for finding the quickclean on the security center were useles. There is no tool button.

Kab

• 5. Re: How do I return to version 9
                  Peter M

I tend to agree with you and we have passed that and many more comments back to McAfee.

• 6. Re: How do I return to version 9

I have been really disappointed with version 10 as well.

Most frustrating to me is the ability to control quarantined and trusted programs.

In the old interface you could tick the box of several programs at once, and it would restore all the programs in one go.

In the new version you painstakingly have to select and restore each program individually.

What's more frustrating is that once restored, as soon as you go the folder location where the file was restored to, the real-time scanning removes the file and puts it straight back into quarantine.

Is there any way to permanently "trust" a file in 10 so i don't have to continue this process?

To me the biggest problem with the new interface is that it is slow, and it is also counterintuitive to navigate. Ive tried my best to like it over the past couple months but find it really arduous and despise the lack of customisability compared to 9.

Is there any way to revert back to 9 but continue to recieve the security updates that are current?

• 7. Re: How do I return to version 9
                      Peter M

There is no way to revert to 9 unfortunately.  11 will be in beta testing soon if you are interested.

https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-1236

It hasn't yet been released to beta testing but it shouldn't be too long.

There is no way to ignore a program unless it's labelled as a PUP (possibly unwanted program) and even then often it is not possible.

We have begged them to reintroduce the ability to exclude detections and made many other suggestions.  We have to see what, if any, were adopted.