2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2010 9:10 PM by rmetzger

Updater.exe

ronkay

In Windows 7 I keep getting "Updater.exe wants to run". It appears as if this is a trojan.

I have McAfee Security Center up and running with all recent updates, yet it can not find nor remove this update.exe.

I also downloaded 6083xdat.exe and 6084xdat.exe, but both say that there is no compatible McAfee software loaded?

Any Suggestions?

Thank you very much!

RK

• 1. Re: Updater.exe
          rmetzger

ronkay wrote:

In Windows 7 I keep getting "Updater.exe wants to run". It appears as if this is a trojan.

I have McAfee Security Center up and running with all recent updates, yet it can not find nor remove this update.exe.

I also downloaded 6083xdat.exe and 6084xdat.exe, but both say that there is no compatible McAfee software loaded?

RK

RK,

Updater.exe (or is it update.exe) could be from any program that needs updates. The UAC feature or the Firewall is blocking it and asking you what you want to do. So far so good. (Most malicious software would bypass these safeguards anyway, so I am not convinced that this is a trojan, just yet.)

Now, this could be McAfee Security Center trying to get updates to the AV package. Hopefully, someone here can tell if this is so.

Could you do a 'search' for updat*.exe on C:\ and report what you find. Maybe from the directory it is in, we can tell what Update*.exe is and whether it is malicious or not.

The 6083xdat.exe and 6084xdat.exe are for the Enterprise Edition of VirusScan, not for the Retail/Consumer version you are running. So this explains the 'no compatible software' message, because that is true.

Hope this is helpful.

Ron Metzger

• 2. Re: Updater.exe

Hey, upload the suspicious file to www.virustotal.com