1 2 3 Previous Next 49 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2012 9:37 AM by Dvanmeter

Who uses the custom property fields and for what?

Seeing these fields I was hoping that I could use them to pull information from our server database but this isn't the case.

I would like to hear from anyone who currently utilizes them, what for.

Dan

• 1. Re: Who uses the custom property fields and for what?
          broot

Custom properties fields can contain values specific to individual Agent installations. You may, for instance, want to use the fields to make notes regarding a specific system such as the system's location or manufacturer.

Custom properties values can be set either at the Agent side (during install or using msaconfig), or at ePO. However, any custom properties set at the Agent side will overwrite values set you might set at ePO during regular Agent-server-communication intervals.

I am not very familiar with how the custom properties fields are being used by customers, and I too am curious to hear use cases.

-Brad

Message was edited by: broot. Corrected typo. on 8/24/10 2:56:18 PM CDT

Message was edited by: broot on 8/24/10 2:56:35 PM CDT
          • 2. Re: Who uses the custom property fields and for what?
            broot

Also, I forgot to mention that you can create queries in ePO for Custom Property fields.

• 3. Re: Who uses the custom property fields and for what?
              mark.tizzard

check out these videos from McAfee Technical on Youtube

Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN_q8i3PkAg

Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF1zUVZ4fIM

It shows a very interesting way to use the custom feild properties with ePO 4.5

Mark

• 4. Re: Who uses the custom property fields and for what?

:-) try that with 6000 machines. He's effectively negating the entire purpose central management and managing machines on a one by one basis. You have to run the installer every single time you want to apply or remove a custom property?

My method... EPO obviously already has a field for Virusscan props.  Automated task, Run query for managed machines with or without a vse value and apply or remove tag accordingly. client task under global is configured to install vse to machines only with matching tag NOVS.

Run it backwards so you remove the tag NOVS with systems that installed on the last run.

Started: Run Query 
                Completed: Run Query (The query 'Has VS - clear tag' was run as a scheduled command or part of a scheduled command chain. ) 
                Started: Clear Tag 
                Completed: Clear Tag (Clearing NO VS from 0 system(s).)

Started: Run Query 
                Completed: Run Query (The query 'NO VS' was run as a scheduled command or part of a scheduled command chain. ) 
                Started: Apply Tag 
                Completed: Apply Tag (Applying NO VS to 0 system(s).)

All of my systems have viruscan so no tags are applied or cleared the last run but the method does work.

Message was edited by: danpotter on 8/25/10 7:43:30 AM CDT
                • 5. Re: Who uses the custom property fields and for what?
                  JoeBidgood

danpotter wrote:

:-) try that with 6000 machines. He's effectively negating the entire purpose central management and managing machines on a one by one basis. You have to run the installer every single time you want to apply or remove a custom property?

Well, not really - he's just using the frminst executable as a way of setting the custom prop on the client machine. You can use any method you like to populate the customprops reg values - batch file, SMS / SCCM, whatever - and the agent will pass these back to the server which can take action accordingly.

I'm a little unsure of the benefits of using a tag to deploy a product - the deployment task itself is capable of working out if the point product is already installed and acting accordingly, so assigning  a deployment task to all machines and letting it get on with it seems reasonable    Most uses of custom props that I've seen tend to revolve around identifying machines for placement in the system tree or for assigning specific policies - but I'm sure there are far more creative uses out there

Regards -

Joe

• 6. Re: Who uses the custom property fields and for what?

I'm aware that your able to set via the registry but adding/removing customproperties via external methods where you already have all the data you need to me seems unnecessary.

I'm happy with the new tag feature association in deployment tasks. It only runs the deployment where necessary instead of all machines running on a schedule unnecessarily consuming resources.

• 7. Re: Who uses the custom property fields and for what?
                      JoeBidgood

danpotter wrote:

I'm aware that your able to set via the registry but adding/removing customproperties via external methods where you already have all the data you need to me seems unnecessary.

I completely agree - that's why I'm not sure that the process in the video is a particularly good example. The whole point of the custom props functions is to allow you to get information into ePO that would not normally be reported back by the agent: as you say, using it to duplicate a property that ePO already knows about is redundant.

Regards -

Joe

• 8. Re: Who uses the custom property fields and for what?
                        broot

If I understood the video correctly, it was defining a method to install/uninstall VSE from a client machine without going to ePO (once the initial ePO tagging setup is complete).

It's an interesting method and may be useful in special situations, but like mentioned above - kind of defeats the purpose of central managment.

• 9. Re: Who uses the custom property fields and for what?

At that rate I just map to the epo server installation directory\db\software\current... and find my software:-)

1 2 3 Previous Next