4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2010 4:33 PM by Dinz

Security Center unable to update; Can't uninstall/reinstall SC because I can't access Mcafee website (please click for more info)

Hi!  I'm having problems updating Security Center.

A few days ago, I got a message from the Mcafee Security Center (SC) that said, "Your computer is at risk!"  When I opened SC, I found out that the program was unable to update. I tried to update by clicking on the Check For Updates option, but that failed. The computer was searching for updates but didn't find anything. . I have had simillar problems in the past, and the problems have always been solved by uninstalling and reinstalling Mcafee. When I tried to access the website this time, I got the following message via Internet Explorer:  "This website is unable to display th webpage. (HTTP 501/HTTP 505) "  I tried to access the website via Google Chrome, Firefox, and Safari, and I got the following message:  "The specified method is not supported."   I tried to access Mcafee Tech Support's website, and I'm getting the same messages.

It's only by a stroke of luck that I managed to find this website by googling, "SecurityCenter unable to update." I didn't know about the existence of this website until today.

Just so you know, everything else on my computer is working okay. It's only Mcafee that is having problems. I don't want to uninstall Mcafee because I'm afraid I might not be able to reinstall at all.

I just want to update Mcafee. Please help!

About my computer:

Emachines T6410

AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200+

2.19 Ghz, 2 GB RAM

Windows XP Home Edition Service pack 3,

Internet Service:  Comcast Cable Internet (always connected to the Internet)

Thanks in advance for your help!

-- Susan Randall

Message was edited by: ksrandall on 8/23/10 5:04:57 PM CDT