6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2010 4:03 PM by airtuna08

Help!!! Something in My Vista has disabled Mcafee scanner and appears not to be malware/virus/spyware/et al...

• HELP!!!! Why is my Mcafee scanner disabled? I have Windows Vista (LOL.... I know) 32 bit//Mcafee premium security
      • Mcafee Virtual technician tool says it is a COM file corrupted,
      • I found the following apps are stopped (or blocked) mcods.exe(Viruscan folder) mcBackmonitor.exe (MBK folder)
      • Windows defender and windows firewall are disable in system configuration services and in start-up too they are OFF
      • I had no other spyware installed before this ........until five days ago when I saw Mcafee not scanning. The spyware (Spybot) caught nothing, I run also stinger from mcafee and run windows malicious software removal tool full scans.........found nothing
      • Symptoms: If I click button scan on the left side menu it only goes to Status screen,  Virus protection configuration forgets my custom scan schedule as soon as I close window (it does not scans default schedule either), Restore button on menu has also a small yellow message error and never opens. the message says "message from the web Error!"  <---HUH??WTH??
      • I assume this happen after windows downloading update august 10... not certain
      • my C hardisk has 41.7% free space memory and I keep my cache and temporary files very clean religiously every day to avoid sluggishness
      • I have uninstalled and installed mcafee 9 different times unfortunately same result (Iam sick & tired of it... Rrrgh)
      • I Proceed as followed>>>Mcafee is uninstalled first with windows default uninstall (control panel) then reboot
      • then run the removal tool from mcafee +Reboot
      • then I go to APPdata folders  C:\ProgramFiles, C:\ProgramData and delete manually if any Mcafee folders   and run a second time the removal tool after this. +REBOOT (restart ..LOL)
      • I have RUN either the stinger/or malicious malware removal tool/or spybot/or the windows error checking volume (last case I have to reboot again before re-installing)  and then Re-install mcafee and installations appears successful all the way until I open mcafee window and try to scan or open the restore menu link.
      • HELP!!! everything runs good in my laptop except this..... It does not feels like malwre or virus........(but I could be wrong LOL)

......Mcafee updates regurlarly and can do the cleaning of cookies et al' too without trouble, the status shows protected in all counts and appears (..right) to be working fine. Windows systems and software seems working fine before and after this  ..... ????if you can believe a Vista LOL  

Message was edited by: silverstar    Before and after this problem >>windows firewall and defender were OFF  on 8/23/10 3:10:31 PM CDT

Message was edited by: silverstar on 8/23/10 1:41:45 PM PDT