3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2010 7:45 AM by runcmd

Where did the Trojans go?

I suspected I had a virus after Exchange stopped working, freezing with the disk light solidly lit.  I ran a scan and it found three trojans; however, the scan halted before completion.  I reran it and it halted twice in a row on a .pdf I haven't accessed in two years.  I deleted that file and it then hung twice on a .ppt I haven't touched in the same length of time.  I deleted that and now it runs clean.  Where did the trojans go it found the first time?  Since it didn't finish I assume it didn't clean them, particularly since my symptoms--very slow response, disk light constantly on--are still present.  Why isn't it catching them now?

I'm running VirusScan Enterprise 8.5.0i, engine 5400.1158 with Visa Enterprise sp 2.

• 1. Re: Where did the Trojans go?
          kink80

You should check your quarantine folder to see if anything was deleted. You can check it by opening the VSE console and Double clicking on Quarantine Manager Policy. There should be a tab that says "Manager" and under that you will see the list of items in Quarantine. You could also look at the scan log to see if anything was deleted. That is in the VSE console as well.

• 2. Re: Where did the Trojans go?

Thanks for the reply.

No, there are two files there from a month ago but nothing from the scan I ran yesterday.  Would running the scan in safe mode have anything to do with it?  Since I couldn't get it to run in normal mode I ran it in safe mode.

• 3. Re: Where did the Trojans go?
              runcmd

"kink80" is right...  If you ran an on-demand scan, the OnDemandScanLog.txt should tell you what was found and what VirusScan did with it.  That log is typically in the "All Users" profile.  Depending upon what O/S you are running, it could be in one of the following locations...

• C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\McAfee\DesktopProtection\OnDemandScanLog.txt
              • C:\ProgramData\McAfee\DesktopProtection\OnDemandScanLog.txt