1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2010 8:24 AM by JoeBidgood

SQL Query statement to gather ePO 3.6 Dat file stats of clients

I have just inherited the admin responsibilities of McAfee ePO and want to create a report that will email me twice a week with information on which clients have dat files that are older than the last two updates.

I have gathered that in ePO 3.6 I have to create a SQL Statement in a new Query but my SQL Statements are lacking.

Help!?

• 1. Re: SQL Query statement to gather ePO 3.6 Dat file stats of clients
          JoeBidgood

Hi...

I'm afraid that ePO 3.6 doesn't have the ability to mail reports on a scheduled basis - you will need to upgrade to at least ePO 4, or preferably 4.5, to achieve this. (I should point out that ePO 3.6 is also no longer supported, so you will need to upgrade anyway.)

Regards -

Joe

on 23/08/10 09:02:10 GMT
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: SQL Query statement to gather ePO 3.6 Dat file stats of clients

Thanks for your response.

Is there anywhere in the documentation that explicitly states that this is not possible for my version and maybe details why?

I would like some documentation to support this when I present this to the powers that be.

• 3. Re: SQL Query statement to gather ePO 3.6 Dat file stats of clients
              jmcleish

er.... maybe the fact that a McAfee T3 Support Technician told you that its not supported!

and the fact that it doesn't say you can do it in the documentation.

I also have an old 3.6.1 and you can't do it.

You are runing an unsupported version.. basically you really need to upgrade.

http://www.mcafee.com/us/enterprise/support/customer_service/end_life.html

Edit: You may be able to do this with MS SQL Reporting Services but basically it would  be better and probably easier upgrading to a supported product anyway.

HTH

Message was edited by: jmcleish on 23/08/10 10:00:59 CDT
              • 4. Re: SQL Query statement to gather ePO 3.6 Dat file stats of clients

Come on, man. That tone ain't necessary.

Like I said, I inherited this. The response I got was helpful, welcomed and appreciated but really, how am I [or my boss] to know he/she is a McAfee tech?

I am just seeking some documentation to support the response.

• 5. Re: SQL Query statement to gather ePO 3.6 Dat file stats of clients
                  jmcleish

The official McAfee shield under their avatar shows they are McAfee employees. If you hover your mouse over it- it will tell you their title within the company.

I apologise if i upset you, but the fact is that your product is unsupported and the feature you are requiring is available in a supported product. That should be enough reason for the "powers that be" to upgrade.

If you raise an official support call with McAfee they will tell you the same.

• 7. Re: SQL Query statement to gather ePO 3.6 Dat file stats of clients
                    richengel

Everyone is correct.  It is unsupported.  But if you store your ePO DB on a SQL server, you have a way out.

I included some things that you probably don't need like OS information and IP address, but the following SQL query will produce a list of servers that have a DAT file that is more than one day from current.  Have your SQL DBA schedule the query to run at the interval you want.  Enjoy.

select

leafnode

.nodename as 'Node Name',

productproperties

.ProductCode as 'Product Code',

computerProperties

.ipAddress as 'IP Address',

computerProperties

.OSType as 'OS Type',

computerProperties

.OSVersion as 'OS Version',

computerProperties

.OSPlatform as 'OS Platform',

productproperties

.DatVer as 'DAT Version',

LeafNode

.LastUpdate as 'Last Communication'

from

ProductProperties, LeafNode, computerProperties, reportcomputersummary, serverinfo

WHERE

ProductProperties.ParentID = LeafNode.AutoID

and

computerProperties.ParentID = LeafNode.AutoID

and

reportcomputersummary.NodeID = LeafNode.AutoID

and

ProductProperties.ProductCode > ''

and

leafnode.type != 24

and

ProductProperties.ProductCode like 'virus%'

and

( (SELECT CAST( CAST( MAX( version ) AS float ) AS int ) AS version_DAT FROM LatestUpdates WHERE [type] = 'DAT') - cast (CAST(productproperties.DatVer AS float) as int)) > 1

order

by productproperties.datver

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 8. Re: SQL Query statement to gather ePO 3.6 Dat file stats of clients

Thank you so much for your response, Rich.

That was exactly what I was looking for, and I understand it just enough to modify it according to my needs.

Now I can run a vbScript querying the ePO server directly and/or even remotely and then have the script use smtp relay to email on a predefined schedule using windows scheduled tasks.

That was so much more helpful than, "It's not supported!"

There are so many things that are unsupported but still possible and one would think that these forums would be a place where you could find undocumented solutions for things like that. Especially when the end result is another "happy" McAfee customer!

• 9. Re: SQL Query statement to gather ePO 3.6 Dat file stats of clients
                        JoeBidgood

With respect, though, I'm not sure I understand the logic of this... this approach will certainly work, but it means that you will need to create, implement and maintain a bunch of scripts and scheduled tasks outside of ePO. Why would you want to do this when ePO 4 and 4.5 are capable of doing what you want right out of the box?

It'd be understandable if this was implementing a function that didn't exist at all, but as it stands it seems a reinvention of the wheel to me

Regards -

Joe

1 2 Previous Next