Skip navigation
McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
3924 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 2, 2010 6:30 AM by Ex_Brit RSS
coffees-on Newcomer 1 posts since
Aug 12, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 26, 2010 10:46 AM

Unacceptable Security Issue - Canceling McAfee and Account

I joined this community forum the other day to see if I could learn more about other people's experience with the McAfee product - I have subscribed to the McAfee product for about 4 years now and am having computer performance issues because of McAfee's drain on system resources.

So I simply created a community account here with a user-id and password, and no profile information.

I did not have the chance to read a post or even create a post before I got this Private Message:

================================================================================ =========================================================

To: coffees-on

Sent: 13-Aug-2010

Subject: Private Message: hello

Hello
My Name is Tina i was impressed when i saw your profile at  https://community.mcafee.com and l will like you to reply me back  through my email post so that i can send you my  picture for you to know who i am .i belive we can establishe a long  lasting relationship with you. remember that colour or far distance dont  matter it is love is the most important thing. ()  Thanks i am waiting to hear from.
You soonest
Tina

================================================================================ =========================================================

I recognize that McAfee is not responsible for PMs, I read that disclaimer somewhere during registration. But it seems to me someone is running an program that detects a new community member and then auto-generates a PM. Great! And this activity goes undetected by a company that creates security software. I am not impressed.

I will be canceling my McAfee subscription and deleting this community forum account. Of course this is probably the intent of the person creating those PMs. But I am not happy with the McAfee product (which seems to control my system to the point where I can no longer have reasonable productivity). And this PM was the last straw. I am a member of a number of software forums and never have I had this happen, and from a security forum no less! Unacceptable.

I would be interested to hear from a McAfee Moderator or others who experienced similar incidents before I attempt to delete my forum account.

Thanks.

Message was edited by: April Jacobs on 8/26/10 10:46:20 AM CDT

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points