1 2 Previous Next 14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2010 2:12 PM by SPyron

What's happened to my password vault? (and all my passwords?)

I've just opened my security centre to find it has updated to a newer version - all fine and dandy except that the Password Vault which was in my previous version has now vanished, along with the dozen or so passwords stored in it. Where is it? I do hope you are not going to tell me it has been erased? If it has, this will cause me huge problems...

• 1. Re: What's happened to my password vault? (and all my passwords?)
          Peter M

The Password Vault as part of Parental Controls has been discontinued.  However the contents of existing vaults can be retrieved.

See:  https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-1245

Or this thread:  https://community.mcafee.com/thread/21621

It is part of a separate product now - McAfee Anti-Theft.

• 2. Re: What's happened to my password vault? (and all my passwords?)

Sorry, but this simply doesn't work. This is what I get:

McAfee Password Vault Reader, ver 1.0.107.0
            Usage: PvReader.exe MasterPassword OutputFile.txt
                    MasterPassword: the master password to unlock Password Vault.
                    OutputFile: text file containing the passwords exported from Password Vault
            Example: PvReader.exe 123456 mypasswords.txt
            'five' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
            operable program or batch file.

The "five" it refers to is part of my master password.

Oh, one other point. On the post your efered me to it says "if you did not cmanage to copy your passwords before your upgrade..." Er, I had no say in the matter. It updates automatically, as far as i was aware it was just doing it's daily update of virus definitions.

This is, to put it mildly, a complete and utter disaster. I have ALL my passwords stored in there, because, guess what, we were told by McAfee it was a "safe" place to store them. Now, you'd think, wouldn't you, that if you were going to release a new version which does NOT have a password vault, and will over-write your version which does, that the developers might just have the courtesy to send out a warning to their customers? You know, the people who give them money for a "service"?  I am sick to death of McAffee, and am going to write to every computer mag and newspaper I can about this. I cannot now access my online bank account, my online credit card accounts, and many other things. I use very safe passwords which are impossible to remember. That's why I stored them in the password vault. Thanks again, McAfee, needless to say you won't be getting any more business out of me.

• 3. Re: What's happened to my password vault? (and all my passwords?)
              Peter M

I'm sorry but I'm only a volunteer here and just posted what I found on the issue.   Until someone with more knowledge on this issue spots this I suggest you contact Technical Support Chat via Useful Links at the top of this page.  tt's free and available 24/7.

• 4. Re: What's happened to my password vault? (and all my passwords?)

Thank you, I know it's not your fault. Just like I know that the people who are responsbile for this latest mess are utter, total idiots.

• 5. Re: What's happened to my password vault? (and all my passwords?)
                  SPyron

Hey Fairly, Sorry about the delay. I was trying to get a little more information before posting.

I've asked our Tier 2.5 to contact you and see if they can help you resolve this.

• 6. Re: What's happened to my password vault? (and all my passwords?)

When might this be? As you can imagine, there is some level of urgency to this as ALL my passwords have been erased by McAfee. You know, the company I thought was keeping them safe for me in the password vault.

• 7. Re: What's happened to my password vault? (and all my passwords?)
                      SPyron

I requested an escalation, usually that happens within 2 business days, but I'll send a message requesting an ETA.

• 8. Re: What's happened to my password vault? (and all my passwords?)
                        SPyron

Hey there, just got a response from the agent. Bala tried to give you a call yesterday evening, but was unable to reach you. He's sent you an email asking for additional contact information, so he should be able to help you out.

• 9. Re: What's happened to my password vault? (and all my passwords?)

Well I did indeed get a call, and in fact tonight I am sitting waiting for another one that they promised me, but which hasn't happened.

So let me briefly explain what happened in the first call. It gives an illuminating insight into how call centres operate.

The "agent" spent half an hour trying to do what I had explained I had already tried. That is, to follow the instructions as laid out in another thread on this forum on how to retrieve passwords from the password vault. Except he was doing it the wrong way.

One of the lines of instruction says this:

1. Type PVREADER.EXE MASTERPASSWORD PASSWORDS.TXT (where “MasterPassword” is the master password you used to unlock your McAfee Password Vault), then press Enter

What the agent was doing - by remote access - was typing PVREADER.EXE MASTEREPASSWORD PASSWORDS.TXT when as you can see from the instructions the word "MASTERPASSWORD" should be substituted by the actual masterpassword which is used to unlock the password vault. But he wouldn't accept this until I physicaly took control of the mouse and typed it in myself, which then gave us a string of text that I had already copy and pasted into my earlier post! And of course, it didn't work, which is precisely why I made the previous post.

So, here we are, back to square one again, no passwords, and no solution. And no call back which was promised to me for 7:00 pm this evening (it is now 8:20 PM) Oh well, all this will at least make an amusing, if slightly tragic article, and a warning: if anyone promises you that your passwords really are safe - don't believe a word of it.

1 2 Previous Next