6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2010 2:26 AM by SamuelM

Upgrading from ePO 4.0 to ePO4.5 (Policies).

Hi,

I'm managing about 4000 clients with ePO version 4.0 (VSE 8.7i/Patch2) and I want to upgrade to ePO 4.5. I have read through the guide installation of ePO 4.5, and I understood that I have to backup my Database of which I'm running mySQL 2005 Express before upgrading to ePO 4.5, now my question is what about the policies that I have on my current ePO 4.0, wiiol they be available when I have restore the Database to the new version of ePO 4.5 or do I have to do it manually and how?

My question is how to backup all the policies/rules/server task on my ePO 4.0 before I upgrade to ePO 4.5?

• 1. Re: Upgrading from ePO 4.0 to ePO4.5 (Policies).
          JoeBidgood

Hi...

There's no need for you to restore the backup of the ePO4 database - in fact you very definitely should not do so as it will break ePO 4.5   I think the instruction to back up the db is simply to give you a safety net if you need to roll back to ePO 4.

All of the policies, tasks and so on will be preserved. The only thing I that that is not migrated is any notifications that you have set up - I would therefore make a note of any of these so that you can recreate them if required.

HTH -

Joe

• 2. Re: Upgrading from ePO 4.0 to ePO4.5 (Policies).

Thanks a lot Joe for your quick respond,

We just bought a new server and want to use it for the ePO 4.5, and the old server that was carrying ePO 4.0 will be used for something else after being formated. So I think I'm going to have to backup the Database and restore it to the new server, so about the policies, tasks and so on, will they be there in the database or what?

• 3. Re: Upgrading from ePO 4.0 to ePO4.5 (Policies).
              JoeBidgood

Ah - you're talking about a different thing here

You *cannot* restore an ePO 4 db to an ePO 4.5 server. What you need to do is treat the upgrade to 4.5 and the move to a new machine as two separate steps - don't try and do them both at once. So you need to either upgrade the existing epo 4 server to 4.5, then move it to the new machine, or move epo 4 to the new machine and then upgrade it to 4.5.

The easier approach is probably to move ePO 4 first, using KB 51438, then upgrade to 4.5.

HTH -

Joe

• 4. Re: Upgrading from ePO 4.0 to ePO4.5 (Policies).

So there is no way I can install ePO 4.5 on a new server then restore just the database of ePO 4.0 on it?

Joe please give some guide steps to do this before I mess up the ePO server please.

Here is my case: I have an ePO 4.0 on an old server and I need to upgrade it to ePO 4.5 but on a new server (please help me with the guide steps).

• 5. Re: Upgrading from ePO 4.0 to ePO4.5 (Policies).
                  JoeBidgood

SamuelM wrote:

So there is no way I can install ePO 4.5 on a new server then restore just the database of ePO 4.0 on it?

No. Absolutely, categorically no way.

Joe please give some guide steps to do this before I mess up the ePO server please.

Here is my case: I have an ePO 4.0 on an old server and I need to upgrade it to ePO 4.5 but on a new server (please help me with the guide steps).

The KB article that I mentioned will guide you through the hard part - moving ePO from one machine to another. The upgrade is comparatively simple and is described in the ePO 4.5 Install Guide.

The most important thing is to make sure you take a backup of the ePO 4 database and keep it safe: that way you can always revert to ePO 4 again if you run into problems.

HTH -

Joe

• 6. Re: Upgrading from ePO 4.0 to ePO4.5 (Policies).

Thanks Joe, I will try it and see what happens, and will let you know once everything is up and running.

Thanks a million.