3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2010 9:58 PM by eelsasser

IP Configurations and Changes on VM image

Hi,

We have tested the MWG7 on a VM and now we plan to copy this image to deploy it at another location.

Can someone guide me with the IP configurations and changes that are required to be done on the new setup where it is deployed.

In the old version changing settings.xlm and hosts files was enough.

Let me know what are the configuration changes that i need to take care while deploying the image of this functional MWG7.

Thanks,

AmiT

• 1. Re: IP Configurations and Changes on VM image

Are you going to copy the entire VM along with the configured policy too?

I don't know that there are any best practices yet, but here are some random thoughts I've discovered.

First, backup the configuration from the GUI so you have a copy.

If you move a VM to a different location, the uuid.bios has a tendency to change in the .vmx file. For normal guest machines, this usually doesn't matter, but in the case of MWG, the hardware configuration it tied to that uuid. The hardware specific settings like IP addresses, DNS, routes, licenses...basically everything in the configuration branch is associated with that UUID. If that value changes, you loose those settings. If you move the VM and it asks "Was it Moved or Copied", select Moved. That will keep the uuid intact.

The UUID is also used to distinguish machines within a cluster, so you cannot have two VMs with the same uuid if you want them to both be in central management together.

If you try to restore the backup including the hardware info, you will get an error like this:

com.scur.k.shared.exceptions.KCoordinatorNodeException: Node "00112233-4455-6677-8899-AABBCCDDEEFF" reports STATUS_ERROR_INTERNAL:
          failed to restore backup of sent configuration: can not find own UUID '00112233-4455-6677-8899-AABBCCDDEEFF' in backup.

The file was backuped up from a machine with uuid='564D80E3-2304-1871-E46C-53EFD6A6056D' and will not restore the IP info on the other machine.

The easiest way to get a new VM instance running is freshly image it. Walk through the wizard at the console to set the IP addresses. Get into the GUI, and restore the "Policy only" from there.

That's all i can think of for now.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: IP Configurations and Changes on VM image

Another way to do it (I had to do this once after discovering my backup file was corrupt) would be to freshly image the new VM, go through and assign the IPs, then join it to the first system as part of central management - it should pick up the policy, then you can take the new system back out of central management.

That should do pretty much the same thing as restoring the backup, but I'm not sure which would be easier!

Regards,

Danny

• 3. Re: IP Configurations and Changes on VM image

You're right. That was pretty common on 6.x to do it that way.

You can do the same on 7, if you have central management turned on.

Just boot it up and get the IP and routes on it, then join it to the central manager and the configuration replicates.