4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2010 3:31 PM by exbrit

Mcafee won't uninstall! win 7 x64

So i've been having problems with my mcafee av the whole day. First it started saying that 'real time protection' was turned off, and it gave me the option of turning it on..... so i did. It would turn on for about a minute and then turn off again (and again and again giving me the popup). So i tried updating it, to see if that was the problem. Nope.... no new updates. So i looked around online to see if anyone else had the same problem. I couldn't really find something that was close to my little problem.

It only got worse from there..... i tried running a scan to see if i picked up a virus, NOTHING. I then remembered that i updated java this morning, and thought that it might be interfering with the av. i restored my computer to before i installed the new java update, and it still kept happing. Only things started getting really weird. Everytime i now clicked on the Mcafee warning, it would freeze my entire system. I had to keep ctrl+alt+del to get any control back.

i'm at a loss as of what to do...... i tried downloading the mcafee software help tool, but it wouldn't install and kept giving me errors. I downloaded another AV program to see if i had some virus that mcafee wasn't detecting. And to add some icing to the cake, i can't remove all of traces of mcafee...... the av even had a auto delete feature on it, and not even that will uninstall the program. I've tried to go to programs and remove it myself and all it does is bring up a small blank white window that says "navigation to the webpage was canceled" I tried restarting my system and nothing helps. I can't even UNINSTALL it!

HELP ME!

• 1. Re: Mcafee won't uninstall! win 7 x64

And Btw, i'm running mcafee security center

• 2. Re: Mcafee won't uninstall! win 7 x64
            Dinz

Hi,

Probably there should be a n improper/ incomplete install that should have caused the security center not to respond. Please run the removal tool from useful links at the top of this page and reboot your computer.
            Login to your account page and reinstall your programs, do lewt us know if any issues

Regards,
            Dinesh K
            McAfee Online Community Moderator

• 3. Re: Mcafee won't uninstall! win 7 x64

I am happy to respond & un-happy to report that at the current time  THERE IS NO FIX FOR THIS PROBLEM. I still have one system operating on McAfee, but the one I am reporting from went thru 2-3 days of hours on the phone and tech access trying to fix this. The final word from McAfee is that Microsoft must produce a patch to allow it to install!

Either MS accidently or purposely bugged McAfee to not install on Win 7 x64 OS. Or perhaps McAfee needs to patch to overcome a MS recent patch.

To me, this is one of the worst PC world nighmares. The only solution is to wait for Win 7 to warn that you have no AV program installed; then follow the fix that sends you to MS for a list of AV protection providers. My choice was Norton 360 with a 90 day free trial. It worked well until the McAfee tech had to uninstall Norton to check the x64 install problem. After that failed, I WAS NO LONGER ELIGIBLE FOR THE 90 DAY FREE TRIAL, so I have downloaded a 30 Day trial of G.

I would like a fix so I can get back to my included ATT McAfee, which is part of ATT's service; no cost to the user.

Impatient J

• 4. Re: Mcafee won't uninstall! win 7 x64
                exbrit

GTeach wrote:

I am happy to respond & un-happy to report that at the current time  THERE IS NO FIX FOR THIS PROBLEM. I still have one system operating on McAfee, but the one I am reporting from went thru 2-3 days of hours on the phone and tech access trying to fix this. The final word from McAfee is that Microsoft must produce a patch to allow it to install!

Either MS accidently or purposely bugged McAfee to not install on Win 7 x64 OS. Or perhaps McAfee needs to patch to overcome a MS recent patch.

To me, this is one of the worst PC world nighmares. The only solution is to wait for Win 7 to warn that you have no AV program installed; then follow the fix that sends you to MS for a list of AV protection providers. My choice was Norton 360 with a 90 day free trial. It worked well until the McAfee tech had to uninstall Norton to check the x64 install problem. After that failed, I WAS NO LONGER ELIGIBLE FOR THE 90 DAY FREE TRIAL, so I have downloaded a 30 Day trial of G.

I would like a fix so I can get back to my included ATT McAfee, which is part of ATT's service; no cost to the user.

Impatient J

I can assure you that McAfee installs just fine on my x64 Win 7's - both of them, with no difficulty at all.  What could prevent it is either an infection or traces of other antivirus applications.  Did you try running the Norton removal tool before attempting to install McAfee?

I also can tell you that the link to antivirus applications that Microsoft gives doesn't always work as it should as I tried it once ages ago and gave up on it, preferring to go to the manufacturer's website directly.

Also ensure that Windows 7 is totally up to date and whether or not it's your default browser, that IE8 is set to its default settings.

If the problem continues try Tech Support Chat again but this time ask them to escalate the issue.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 04/09/10 4:31:35 EDT PM