1 2 Previous Next 10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2010 5:23 AM by jmcleish

Clients using a disabled repository

jmcleish

I created a repository on a client machine for the sole purpose of the technician copying all the files to another PC that is off network so the clients on the closed network can update. The repository is on their desktop machine and only downloads dat, engine and boc updates so the copying process is kept minimal.

The repository is set to disabled in the agent policy but i noticed that clients are still connecting to it via a query  called "repository use".

Does anyone know why the clients are conecting and downloading dats from this repository when its supposed to be disabled? I would have thought that they wouldn't have tried to connect since its disabled.

I have attached a log file (port no.s, IPs etc changed) from one of the clients that The repository is called LM Repo

Most of the clients are running at least 8.5 p8 with agent 4.0.0.1494.

Currently running 4.5.0.753 (I have a change in progress to update to patch3)

Cheers

Jane

• 1. Re: Clients using a disabled repository
          JoeBidgood

Can you post as many of the following files as are present on the same client machine?

sitelist.xml

sitecache.bin

server.bin

datastore.bin

compiled.xml

server.xml

Thanks -

Joe

• 2. Re: Clients using a disabled repository
            jmcleish

Hi Joe,

Have changed machine as the other has deep freeze on it- so here is another one showing same behavior.

Could not find

server.bin

datastore.bin

Attached are others and new agent log to go with that one.

Thanks

Jane

• 3. Re: Clients using a disabled repository
              JoeBidgood

Hm - there's no sitelist.xml, but there is a sitelist1.xml. Is this an accurate reflection of what's on the machine? Is it really called sitelist1.xml?

If so - do you know how it got there? sitelist1.xml is not a convention we use... have you got any processes that are trying to manipulate the sitelists on these machines?

Thanks -

Joe

• 4. Re: Clients using a disabled repository
                jmcleish

sorry Joe- I had modified and saved on the client (to change fqdns etc )

I saved it with the 1 on the end.

It was sitelist.xml.

Jane

• 5. Re: Clients using a disabled repository
                  JoeBidgood

Okay - bit unusual: the policy definitely has that site as disabled, but the sitelist still shows it as enabled.

As a quick and dirty approach, can you try the following:

1) Add a new distributed repository  - doesn;t matter what the details are: it's only a dummy

2) Once complete, click Save

3) Then go in and delete the distributed repo you just created

This will update the timestamp on the master sitelist without actually making any functional changes.

Now wake up the client machine - you should see it receiving a new sitelist, and once it's finished talking to the server, check the new sitelist.xml: hopefully it should now list the repo as disabled.

Let me know what happens

Thanks -

Joe

• 6. Re: Clients using a disabled repository
                    jmcleish

ok.... so i was off this afternoon and the client is now off just so  thought i'd do some digging about.

On the server, I created a new repository like you said. It did change the timestamp on the sitemgr and sitelist xml files. But ... and here's the interesting part. In the policy view -  both repos- my new test repo and my LM repo show as disabled. BUT.... in the sitelist and sitmgr xml files- BOTH repositories show as enabled.

I have also changed my LM repo to enabled, saved and then back to disabled and saved but it still says enabled=1 in the xml files.

This means that ALL my clients could be trying to update from this desktop machine which isn't ideal at all.

Do you think that patch 3 will fix this? I've not seen any issues which may relate to this in the patch 3 readme. (and KB is down at the mo)

Thanks

Jane

• 7. Re: Clients using a disabled repository
                      JoeBidgood

I don't think there's anything wrong at the server end - it looks like it's more likely to be at the client end. The policy being received by the client looked OK - it's just that the client has not applied that setting correctly. I haven't seen anything immediately that would explain why

Are there other machines exhibiting the same behaviour? If so do they share anything in common, like agent versions?

Thanks -

Joe

• 8. Re: Clients using a disabled repository
                        jmcleish

Hi Joe,

All the clients connecting to the disabled repo are using 4.0.0.1494 agent version.

I'll upgrade a few of these to 4.5.0.1499 and what should i be looking for on the client to check to see that the repo is in fact disabled?

On another note- should the sitmgr and sitelist .xml file be showing enabled=1 for that repository or am i looking in the wrong place?

Thanks

Jane

• 9. Re: Clients using a disabled repository
                          jmcleish

Actually, I've just checked 3 of the clients that had been connecting to that repo and they have all updated their sitelists from when i made the changes last night.

All of them now in their sitelist.xml say enabled =0.

So it looks like they may all be OK now.

mmm very odd.

Will be getting around to upgrading the agents soon anyway.

Thanks for your help.

Jane

1 2 Previous Next