5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2011 7:20 AM by overfinch_357

    Problems after upgrade to 6.8.7

      Hi

       

      We are using MWG6.8.6 with LDAP . (Novell eDirectory)

      We had some issues browsing and were advised to upgrade to 6.8.7

      I upgraded 4 out of our 10 MWGs last night but after 10 mins or so these proxies have shown error messages in the error log.

       

      17/Aug/2010:03:41:28 +0100] LDAP server 172.31.117.217: handled error -1 'Can't contact LDAP server' in line 923 
      [17/Aug/2010:03:41:35 +0100] LDAP server 172.31.108.36: handled error -1 'Can't contact LDAP server' in line 923
      [17/Aug/2010:03:41:42 +0100] LDAP server 172.31.108.210: handled error -1 'Can't contact LDAP server' in line 923
      [17/Aug/2010:03:54:05 +0100] LDAP server 172.31.108.214: handled error -1 'Can't contact LDAP server' in line 923
      [17/Aug/2010:03:54:12 +0100] LDAP server 172.31.117.217: handled error -1 'Can't contact LDAP server' in line 923
      [17/Aug/2010:03:54:19 +0100] LDAP server 172.31.108.36: handled error -1 'Can't contact LDAP server' in line 923
      [17/Aug/2010:03:54:26 +0100] LDAP server 172.31.108.210: handled error -1 'Can't contact LDAP server' in line 923
      [17/Aug/2010:04:14:04 +0100] LDAP server 172.31.108.214: handled error -1 'Can't contact LDAP server' in line 923
      [17/Aug/2010:04:14:12 +0100] LDAP server 172.31.117.217: handled error -1 'Can't contact LDAP server' in line 923

      Response in slow one minute, OK the next.

      I have a call open with McAfee but wondered if anyone on here has seen this ?

      Regards

      Drew
        • 1. Re: Problems after upgrade to 6.8.7
          michael_schneider

          Hello,

           

          I'd try usual things like ping the LDAP servers, try to telnet to the LDAP server on port 389. Try installing an LDAP browser on a PC/Server in the same subnet and see how they behave.

          I've just tried LDAP on the latest 6.8.7 and can conform that it works.

           

          best,

          Michael

          • 2. Re: Problems after upgrade to 6.8.7
            ivherrma

            Hi,

             

            we are noticing these errors with 6.8.7. too, but we did also have them under 6.8.6 (with Lotus Domino LDAP).

            The line number within the error message is changing depending on new WW-builds, i think.

            We opened a call and Support arrived at the conclusion that it is a "LDAP server problem, not MWG".

            Until today we're still trying to find the reason.

            Any suggestions are highly appreciated.

             

            Regards,

             

            Ivo

            • 3. Re: Problems after upgrade to 6.8.7

              Thanks for this.

               

              Yes I can telnet and access the LDAP server OK. We donwloaded an LDAP utility, which allowed us to run a command line LDAP lookup.

              This worked OK, it seems to be when browsing levels are high.

               

              I ended up reimaging the boxes back to v6.8.6 and they work now. (and I didn't save the name of the LDAP package :-p)

               

              I suspect we may have deeper running problems with our LDAP and we have a conference call today to discuss it.

               

               

              Thanks, Drew

               

               

              Message was edited by: overfinch_357 on 31/08/10 09:27:54 CDT
              • 4. Re: Problems after upgrade to 6.8.7

                Did somebody find a solution for this problem. I have the same issue. All devices can access the LDAP server but the webwasher has a problem and reports the following message:

                 

                ...
                [05/Jan/2011:08:02:49 +0100] LDAP server ldap: handled error -1 'Can't contact LDAP server' in line 923
                [05/Jan/2011:08:05:28 +0100] LDAP server ldap:389: handled error -1 'Can't contact LDAP server' in line 923

                ...

                 

                 

                Nachricht geändert durch matt on 05.01.11 07:20:07 CST
                • 5. Re: Problems after upgrade to 6.8.7

                  We found after a lot of testing that using Novell eDirectory was part of the problem.

                  This is not widely used so this hadn't occurred before.

                   

                  Basically McAfee wrote a patch and it is now part of the standard code when you patch.

                   

                  I have moved on since then so I cant say whether we still see this error but I know we are using a later build version.

                   

                  We will migrate later thid year to AD .

                   

                  Cheers

                   

                  Drew