4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2010 9:18 PM by Actias

Total Protection 2010 Unidentied Network Problem on Win7 x64

It's exactly stated in the subject title. It seems I have no problem using my TP2010 from Mcafee for a few days at a time....However, I will unexpectedly get an "!" over my wifi icon showing a network error. I check all of my settings for any problems, but there are none to be found. I have a default gateway address, a valid IP adress, and DNS, but for some reason I wont be able to connect to the internet, or even access my router for that matter. Restarting the computer would not solve the problem, nor resetting the adapter, or entering a Static IP. I tried everything. Then, as soon as I uninstalled my Total Protection 2010, my network fixed and I can access it again. Thinking it was a fluke, I reinstalled TP2010, and it's been about 3 days since the reinstall when my network crippled again. Again, no solutions would work, until I uninstalled TP2010 and my network fixed again. I strongly believe it's a software problem and I am so far not being satisfied with the product, as I can't even use it without constant battling on my network. Any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for all your time, everybody.

• 1. Re: Total Protection 2010 Unidentied Network Problem on Win7 x64
          Dinz

Hello ,

Could you please provide me with the following details ;

What is the operating system of the computer ?
          How is the computer connected to internet ?Did you try accessing internet in safe mode with networking , if not (please try the following step ;

Restart the computer and start tapping the F8 key.
          From the advanced boot options menu select
          safe mode with networking
          Try accesing your internet now

Please get back to me with the above details , we can get this one resolved for you .

Regards,
          Dinesh K
          McAfee Online Community moderator

• 2. Re: Total Protection 2010 Unidentied Network Problem on Win7 x64

I am running on Windows 7 64-bit OS. I have tried booting into Safe Mode with Networking, but to no avail. I even ran command prompt in admin mode and typed in "ipconfig/all" to check the status of my network connections both while in Safe Mode and Normal Boot. I even tried Flushing and Re-Registering my DNS. All my IP Settings and DNS Settings are set to Automatic.  My wireless connection shows that it has the same correct settings (IP, DNS, gateway, etc) when its crippled as when it's working (now). However, I can't even access my router when I'm connected through it, wired or wirelessly, or my cable modem when I'm directly connected.

I normally run my laptop wirelessly to my router for internet. This has been in proper working order for 9 months. Another laptop, 2 xbox360's, and an iPhone are able to connect flawlessly to the internet. My laptop cannot while TP2010 is installed after a certain period of time, typically 3 days or so.

Once I do a basic uninstall of TP2010, I recheck my settings......Everything stays the same, except my network is reachable again, and everything is good again.

• 3. Re: Total Protection 2010 Unidentied Network Problem on Win7 x64
              Dinz

Windows 7 has an auto-tuning feature for network components that can cause connection issues. You can turn off the network auto-tuning feature to test if it is causing connection problems.

Disable network auto-tuning:

1. Click the Windows button and type cmd.
              2. In the search results window, right-click cmd and select Run As Administrator.
              3. At the prompt, type the following command, then press ENTER:

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled 

If this does not resolve the connection issue, use the following procedure to re-enable network auto-tuning:

1. Click the Windows button and type cmd.
              2. In the search results window, right-click cmd and select Run As Administrator.
              3. At the prompt, type the following command, then press ENTER:

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal

Let me know the status of the above step and we shall proceed further .

Regards,
              Dinesh K
              McAfee Online Community Moderator

• 4. Re: Total Protection 2010 Unidentied Network Problem on Win7 x64

Hello,

I'm experiencing the same problems and I also have a brand new laptop with Win 7 x64. I just tried what you said Dinz and Mcafee still would not renew to the new subscription I bought a few days ago.